General Subjects > Travel / Places to Visit

NZ field trips February 2007

(1/11) > >>

David Lyttle:
I have just returned from a 4 day excursion into the Ohau Range which is on the south side of Lake Ohau near Mt Cook.

The first image is taken at the bushline in Freehold Creek looking down to Lake Ohau with the Ben Ohau Range in the background. 

The second image isa photo taken  from our first camp looking towards the head of Freehold Creek on the morning of our second day. It started raining shortly afterwards but cleared up later on that morning.

One plant in this posting, the orchid Gastrodia cunninghamii growing in the beech forest in Freehold Creek. This is a saprophytic orchid that has no chlorophyll.

Lesley Cox:
What super pics David. The sun and rainbow in no 2 are quite lovely. And an excellent image of the Gastrodia, so rarely seen in either photos or the flesh. I certainly never have (in the flesh). It looks very sinister. Hopefully more pics to come?

Maggi Young:
Sinister, but glamorous, Lesley, like the Black Swan in Swan Lake! I'd never seen this orchid before, it is stunningly different.

Lesley Cox:
Poor Odile! I wonder did she ever have an inferiority complex, all that fear and loathing heaped upon her, compared to the much loved and cossetted (and rather insipid, don't you think?) Odette?

Maggi Young:
Yes, for Odette think that Icelandic singer Bjork in the dead swan frock at the Grammies the other year !!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version