Seedy Subjects! > Seed Exchange

SRGC Seed Exchange 2021 - 22

<< < (2/25) > >>

Diane Whitehead:
A number of years ago, someone developed the Ephemeral Seed Exchange.  We'd send everyone a list of what we had to offer, and then would mail the seeds to individuals who requested them.

I have some triliums in bloom now that I received as seeds in 1995.

Carolyn:

--- Quote from: Tristan_He on April 28, 2021, 09:43:12 PM ---What is other's opinion of donating these type of seeds to the seedex? Generally I don't bother doing so because I think it's important to sow them really fresh, and by the time seed is distributed in January it's really a bit late. I never order them for the same reason (and also because I have had too many Corydalis seeds in particular from different seed sellers that I believe were probably dead when I received them).

Am I mistaken in this opinion?

Also wondering if we could use the forum to exchange Corydalis seed with each other?

--- End quote ---
Tristan,
I have had some success with seedex ephemerals, for example, Eranthis hyemalis which I treated with GA3 and several Corydalis sp from the extensive list offered in 2019 - 20, including Corydalis nobilis. I have also had reasonable success with hellebores, and Thalictrums.
As I said, Diane Clements swears by storing in glassines for these.
Diane, as for an ephemeral seedex, I would love it if there was one, but the difficulty is finding volunteers who are able to commit the time and effort at a busy time of year. I’m happy to do seedex stuff in winter, but not in summer!

Diane Whitehead:
As I recall, there was no organizer for the Ephemeral Exchange.  Someone started it, but from then on, the members just posted messages, emailed their requests to the individuals offering the seeds, and the seed offerers then mailed the seeds out.

We didn't have a Maggi.

Gerdk:
I am not sure whether I missed a a corresponding message but I would like to know
if there is a seed distribution outside the United Kingdom planned/possible.

Nevertheless I started to collect seeds because 'hope dies last' !

Gerd

Carolyn:
 No, Gerd, you didn’t miss any message. I think the answer to your question is that we still don’t know yet - things may change and become clearer later this year. Fingers crossed!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version