We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris non-bearded 2019  (Read 9038 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Iris non-bearded 2019
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2019, 09:58:43 AM »
A picture of I.sibirica 'Sibirischer Fruhling'. It is the earliest sibirica for me, flowering in early June.
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2020, 05:45:03 PM »
I have grown this I.sibirica from seeds (as I.chrysographes) about ten years ago. It turned out to be a very vigorous and good plant. It's flowers are tall, and above foliage, and it makes a statement in my garden in early June. :)

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2020, 09:01:49 PM »
Very pretty Leena, I like the two-toned colour. And nice to have a blast of summer on a winter evening.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Leena

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2020, 10:30:23 AM »
Gail, thank you. :) The flowers are small, but there are a lot of them, and the colour is different than in my other older I.sibiricas.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2021, 04:17:17 PM »
From the 2017/18 SRGC Seed Ex. I got seed of the following Irises, I. virginica (No. 2194) labelled as 'hybrid' and I. versicolor 'Raspberry Slurp' (No. 2193) and both were sown late September 2018. Both germinated well and today I potted up 6 plants of each.

From my research in Brian Mathew's  'The Iris', virginica, common name Southern Blue Flag, is confined to more southerly parts of USA and grows in marshes, damp pine woods, ditches and wet grassy places in Florida, eastern Texas northwards to south east Virginia. Versicolor is widespread in eastern Canada southwards to Texas and also grows in marshes, swamps, wet meadows and on lake shores.

Given the above it's more than likely that members living in US or Canada sent in the seeds to the Seed Ex. If so a bit of advice wouldn't go amiss? Am I wasting my time trying these in south western England?

Well I didn't expect them to grow on, but they did and Iris versicolor ex 'Raspberry Splash' is in flower now for the first time and I virginica is showing a couple of buds as well.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2021, 02:23:53 AM »
Well I didn't expect them to grow on, but they did and Iris versicolor ex 'Raspberry Splash' is in flower now for the first time and I virginica is showing a couple of buds as well.

Well done, David! Plants have a way of surprising us, don't they!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Ophrys

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2021, 09:03:11 AM »

Yeah David, it is a great and nice surprise!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 09:12:42 AM by Ophrys »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal