Specific Families and Genera > Primula

Primula Obconica Werringtonensis

(1/3) > >>

Pennine Wanderer:
I grew this Primula Obconica Werringtonensis from seed obtained from the 2018/2019 SRGC seed exchange.  It is growing happily in my garden but there is very little information about the plant or is cultivation requirements on the internet.  Can anyone on the forum or the seed donor please provide more information.

Maggi Young:
I only know  Primula obconica as  a  house or  glasshouse plant, so I'm somewhat surprised to learn this grows  outside  for  you. I also know it  as  one  those  primulas  that can cause  quite  severe  allergy problems  when handled.
 Seems that you have  got  it's  needs  being  met  pretty  well already, by the  look of  it. Kevock Plants  have  listed  this  variety - https://www.kevockgarden.co.uk/plantlist/plant.asp?SKU=BOO   so I  wonder  if  David  and Stella Rankin may have  donated the  seed to the exchange.  May  be  worth contacting  David to ask about  it.  Click on the  link. 

Pennine Wanderer:
Thanks Maggi. I see in John Richard’s book ‘Primula’ he found var. werringtonensis growing at 2600 metres in an area of China so I presume this variety must be hardy unlike some of the other varieties.  Hadn’t picked up on the allergy problems, so thanks.

Pennine Wanderer:
This is my latest photo of Primula Obconica Werringtonensis.  Notice the vibrant red flower cluster. 

hamparstum:

--- Quote from: Pennine Wanderer on May 14, 2020, 03:51:30 PM ---I grew this Primula Obconica Werringtonensis from seed obtained from the 2018/2019 SRGC seed exchange.  It is growing happily in my garden but there is very little information about the plant or is cultivation requirements on the internet.  Can anyone on the forum or the seed donor please provide more information.

--- End quote ---
I just found this post and am at the initial previous  stage. I also have a small packet of seeds of the same exchange but been wondering if it needs cold moist stratification. Now in the beginning of winter , I do my primula seed sowings for those that require some level of cold. ( i.e P.japonica). Since you've been successful, (your picture proves it!) may ask about the details of your germination procedure? Like you I didn't find any information about it in the internet  either.Thank you in advance.
Arturo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version