Bulbs > Galanthus

G.'Magnet'

(1/9) > >>

apothecary:
The famous 'Magnet'.  I have several samples of this from two different locations.  I remember feeling very confused last year because my sample from Springwoods matched none of the 3 growing in the Double Walled Garden.  Likewise, the 3 in the Double Walled garden should have been from one original clump but there seemed to be 3 distinct groups, at least 2 of which had 'Magnet' labels with the same accession number.  Some may have been something else entirely with labels mixed up.

I hope to solve at least part of the mystery this year.  The first set of pics below are from sample 'b' which hails from the Double Walled Garden.  Unfortunately, one of my samples produced only one flower this year which was promptly eaten by something so some things will just have to wait a bit longer to be resolved.

I don't feel I really have the experience to comment on the 'Magnet-like' movement produced as a result of the pedicel length, shape etc.  Suffice to say, I believe the characters of some of these samples were more prominent in this respect last year than this year.

I would be very grateful, once again, for your help.

Paul T:
If it's anything like here in Australia there are things that look rather similar sold under that name.  I'm guessing that the seedlings are similar enough that to the general public they are close enough, and to most of us Aussies just seeing a snowdrop of any type in a nursery is pretty impressive!!  ;D

Good luck with sorting out all your IDs.

Martin Baxendale:
It's not 'Magnet', Kristina. The mark should be more narrowly V-shaped and longer, not widely splayed like this mark.

If the original clumps seem m ixed, it's possible that different bulbs from adjoining clumps got mixed during lifting to send out from South Hayes. Or, as you say, labels got mixed after they arrived at NBGW.

I'll try to get a pic of 'Magnet' showing the (quite distinctive) mark later today and post it here - or perhaps I can find one elsewhere on the forum and point you towards it (or Maggi might be able to help if she's online today). Or you could try using the search facility on the forum for Magnet and 'Magnet' - I'm sure there;s at l;east one pic on the forum (maybe on the old forum).

Martin Baxendale:
Kristina, clicking this shortcut will (should, I hope!) take you to a recent pic of Magnet on a different thread. It's not a close-up, but you can just about see the narrow V mark, and of course the very dangly pedicel:

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=947.msg28806#msg28806

Anthony Darby:
Jings. I need to get my specs! :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version