Bulbs > Galanthus

G. plicatus 'Warham'

(1/6) > >>

apothecary:
Now here's the first one I'm truly suspicious of.  We have it recorded as 'Warham', but so far all flowers (still from potted up samples) have these extra two marks on the basal end of the inner segments - not mentioned in the monograph.  Has anyone else found this?

I haven't looked through for alternatives yet, or found any 'Warham' pics to compare with.  I just thought I'd plonk this here straight away for discussion.

apothecary:
Origins:

Another from Primrose Warburg, received 1997.

David Nicholson:
Fascinating information, even for a non-Galanophile and well worth being kept together for posterity as it were!

Martin Baxendale:
You're right, Kristina; it's not what's generally accepted as G. plicatus 'Warham', which has a much wider, rather flatter mark that comes to a point in the centre, really more of a thick upside-down v shape. Your plant has a much more rounded mark, and as you say, the marks towards the base of the inner segment aren't right either.

There have always been various snowdrops going around as 'Warham' and Primrose Warburg was probably given various 'Warhams' over the years. It may have been labelled Warham but dug up and sent out of flower with no way of knowing if it was right.

Primrose Warburg did grow a snowdrop as 'Warham' which was later renamed 'Gerard Parker'. If you have the Matt Bishop book, there's a photo on page 154 and an explanation of the history. But Gerard Parker has a slightly different mark to your snowdrop, the lower mark going up into a point and sometimes forming a vague cross shape with the marks towards the base. Also, Gerard Parker has much broader outer petals than your snowdrop. So I don't think it's that either. You'd know if it was Gerard Parker, as that has really big very rounded balloon-like flowers. It's also not a strong grower (at least for me).

I think your plant may have to just be plicatus. Sorry.

Rob:
I found a pic on the broadleigh bulbs site for comparison.

The flowers look a little overexposed, but I think it is possible to see the green mark is flatter the way Martin describes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version