We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....  (Read 315056 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock.....
« Reply #345 on: January 16, 2012, 09:09:37 PM »
Steve - I think finding a source with having to take out a mortgage is the problem! I did find a stone merchants down in Southampton but can't remember the details at the moment. I held back from going ahead with ordering any because, as usual, I have to many projects on the go. But I never forget a wonderful tufa garden Alan Furness was constructing at the time of the 2001 Conference at Edinburgh, and wished I could just pick it up and put it in the back of the car!!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #346 on: January 16, 2012, 09:53:55 PM »
http://www.milesstone.co.uk/price-list/ at Eastleigh in Hampshire £400 per tonne they have quite a big delivery area but they also use Palletline for longer delivery journerys.

Stonescapes, Cranleigh Surrey 01483 278328

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:57:41 PM by Neil »
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Leiomerus

• on the rocks ....
    • Rots en plant
« Reply #347 on: January 30, 2012, 07:29:24 PM »
Hello,

This is my little, brand new crevice rock garden. Now it is only planted with some Saxifraga plants and Primula auricula hybrids, but I intend to plant it with many other species, mostly cushion forming species. Like Androsace, Draba, Dionysia, Arenaria and Acantholimon. Androsace and especially Dionysia I will try in the spot where there is a roof overhang. In this spot, direction East, hardly any rain will fall on the plants.

This is really a 'crevice garden' but you hardly see it, because I applied many little, marble stones and marble stone chippings to mask the crevices. The other rocks are some granite side-wall rocks, mainly slate side-walls and there are also some bigger marble (limestone) rocks which you see in the higher outcrop and in front.

The growing medium is one third limey soil and two thirds mixed chippings 2/16 mm (gravel 6/10 mm, grit 2/8 mm, lava 2/8 mm and limestone 8/16 mm).

I decided to make this little crevice garden, being inspired by the great crevice garden builders, like ZZ.

Greetings from Leiomerus ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:34:57 PM by Maggi Young »
Greetings from Leiomerus from Belgium - In the world of the abnormals, the normals are abnormal, which is normal.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #348 on: January 30, 2012, 07:37:03 PM »
Hello Leiomerus, welcome to the forum.

Where do you live?

I have turned your first picture round for you.......
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #349 on: January 30, 2012, 07:40:34 PM »
Hello,

This is my little, brand new crevice rock garden. Now it is only planted with some Saxifraga plants and Primula auricula hybrids, but I intend to plant it with many other species, mostly cushion forming species. Like Androsace, Draba, Dionysia, Arenaria and Acantholimon. Androsace and especially Dionysia I will try in the spot where there is a roof overhang. In this spot, direction East, hardly any rain will fall on the plants.

This is really a 'crevice garden' but you hardly see it, because I applied many little, marble stones and marble stone chippings to mask the crevices. The other rocks are some granite side-wall rocks, mainly slate side-walls and there are also some bigger marble (limestone) rocks which you see in the higher outcrop and in front.

The growing medium is one third limey soil and two thirds mixed chippings 2/16 mm (gravel 6/10 mm, grit 2/8 mm, lava 2/8 mm and limestone 8/16 mm).

I decided to make this little crevice garden, being inspired by the great crevice garden builders, like ZZ.

Hello, Leiomerus ;)

Fancy meeting you here too! Welcome to this wonderful forum...very nice crevice garden you have there!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:51:51 PM by WimB »
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Leiomerus

• on the rocks ....
    • Rots en plant
« Reply #350 on: January 30, 2012, 08:02:31 PM »
Thanks Maggi for turning my picture the right way.
I live in that big country Belgium with many roads, many strange politicians, few rock gardens and some little mountains in the South.
But there a some others Belgian people here too, like Wim. Hello Wim.

Regards from Leiomerus :D
Greetings from Leiomerus from Belgium - In the world of the abnormals, the normals are abnormal, which is normal.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #351 on: January 30, 2012, 08:26:12 PM »
many strange politicians

We have lots of those, anyone like to import a few,? no CITES cert required.  :-X

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #352 on: January 30, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »
many strange politicians

We have lots of those, anyone like to import a few,? no CITES cert required.  :-X

Maybe we can arrange a swap, Michael  ;)  ::)
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #353 on: January 30, 2012, 09:09:48 PM »
Hello,

Like your new crevice Jan ! Please show us more when the plants start to grow and  develop.
I think most of us start to build a crevice ....I build one myself previous year  :  http://www.vrvforum.be/forum/index.php?topic=428.0
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:11:40 PM by krisderaeymaeker »
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #354 on: January 30, 2012, 09:12:11 PM »
But there a some others Belgian people here too

:) :) We have many Belgian friends here ...... you will not be lonely!

Leiomerus

• on the rocks ....
    • Rots en plant
« Reply #355 on: January 31, 2012, 09:50:08 AM »
I will certainly post some pictures in the future of the progress of this crevice garden, Kris. :)
When the time is ripe.

Nice crevice garden of your self Kris.
Belgians are everywhere.

The only drawback about a crevice garden is that you need a large amount of stones, and nowadays this is expensive stuff.
Hmmm, a new rock garden lasts longer than a new car ...

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #356 on: January 31, 2012, 10:15:33 AM »
Kris - I saw on your photos a vertical tufa garden, presumably inspired by Harry Jans wonderful garden. I don't know of anyone in the UK who has made this sort of construction? There seems a lot more imagination on the continent growing alpines in the garden than you find here! (Present company excepted). Any tips on making tufa walls like this?
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #357 on: January 31, 2012, 11:01:46 AM »
Leiomerus... hope your birthday is a good one... many happy returns of the day.... cute baby photo, by the way!

Leiomerus

• on the rocks ....
    • Rots en plant
« Reply #358 on: January 31, 2012, 06:12:30 PM »
Many thanks Maggi.
And by the way, the time I was born there were only pictures in black and white. Has some charm. ;)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #359 on: January 31, 2012, 07:14:22 PM »
The only drawback about a crevice garden is that you need a large amount of stones, and nowadays this is expensive stuff.
Hmmm, a new rock garden lasts longer than a new car ...

But you can't attach it to a trailer to go and get more rocks. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal