We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus March 2023  (Read 3122 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Galanthus March 2023
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2023, 07:39:45 AM »
Some more.
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2023, 07:46:44 AM »
I was reading The snowdrop book about G.woronowii (thinking how it was not as hardy here as others) and it says there (on page 46) that in Black Sea coast here are two ecological varieties of G.woronowii. The "woodland type" and the "rock type", and they also look different. Does anyone know more about these?
I wonder if there are differences also in hardiness..

Stefan B.

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2023, 08:33:19 AM »
Leena, your eagerness shows in the photos :)

Villu

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2023, 08:33:50 PM »
Snowdrop season in Estonia kicked off this week very rapidly. It was very snowy and rather cold March compared to January and February. We had 40 cm of snow just two weeks ago. Warm spell with rain melted the snow and by the midweek it was finally gone. Snowdrops already in bloom or shooting appeared. Temperatures up to 10 degrees in Celsius past few days have speed things up even more.

Few pictures from garden today.

711680-0
'Lucy' & 'Rodmarton Acturus'
711682-1
'South Hayes'
711684-2
'Veronica Cross'
711686-3
'Trimmer'
711688-4
'Lucy'

Villu

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2023, 08:55:47 PM »
And some more to my delight, and hopefully yours too!

711702-0
'Don Armstrong'
711704-1
'Poculiperfect' & 'Moortown Mighty'
711706-2
'Moortown Mighty'
711708-3
'Rodmarton Acturus'
711710-4
'Glenorma'

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2023, 06:48:26 AM »
Definitely delightful, Villu! Great to see them looking so fresh when here in Aberdeen so many are going over.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mariette

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2023, 09:25:04 AM »
Definitely - looking at masses of weatherbeaten snowdrop-leaves without flowers in my garden, it´s very refreshing to enjoy Villu´s impressing clumps in their prime!

Thank You, Stefan and Leena! Leena, I understood the lowland forms of G. woronowii have larger leaves and are less hardy than those originating from higher up in the mountains, as may be expected. I trust we´ll soon take part of a second snowdrop season seeing Your pictures here!  :)

Leena

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2023, 09:55:52 AM »
Leena, your eagerness shows in the photos :)

Stefan, I really  love spring flowers and snowdrops. They don't always love me back so much, my conditions don't suit all, but I try and learn. :)

And some more to my delight, and hopefully yours too!
'Don Armstrong'
'Rodmarton Acturus'

Villu, thank you for the wonderful pictures! They grow so well in your garden, and your clumps are impressive. :)
Many of my snowdrops suffered last winter (winter 2022) and on top of that last summer was dry, so I think that is why some have declined,
but I'm so happy there are many showing buds now. :) I must think more carefully where I plant them, and also do some transplanting.

'Don Armstrong' looks really nice and also 'Rodmarton Arcturus' is a snowdrop I saw in pictures only this winter for the first time, and I must try to find it somewhere.
I like big and round snowdrops (as well as yellow ones).

Leena

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2023, 09:58:37 AM »
Leena, I understood the lowland forms of G. woronowii have larger leaves and are less hardy than those originating from higher up in the mountains, as may be expected. I trust we´ll soon take part of a second snowdrop season seeing Your pictures here!  :)

Thank you Mariette! It would be good to learn which clones come from where.

Yes, I will take pictures. :) Next week there will be more snow, but I'm looking forward to April.

Villu

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2023, 08:05:51 PM »
'Don Armstrong' looks really nice and also 'Rodmarton Arcturus' is a snowdrop I saw in pictures only this winter for the first time, and I must try to find it somewhere.
I like big and round snowdrops (as well as yellow ones).
We have same preferences, Leena!  :D My first choice snowdrop was 'Wendy's Gold' and second 'Pat Mason' which I both acquired from Ebay auction in March 2014. Back then I was new to snowdropping as well to auctioning. I'm lucky that I grew my interest in snowdrops at the right time as now this world is so restricted due to BREXIT.

I still love the big snowdrops as well as all my yellows. Over the years I have fell for green ones and ipocs (which I love-love!). Actually, I love them ALL!  8)
711724-0
Galanthus elwesii 'Pat Mason'

Leena

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2023, 03:13:47 PM »
I'm lucky that I grew my interest in snowdrops at the right time as now this world is so restricted due to BREXIT.

I'm so happy I did, too, though my snowdrops have not (yet) formed so wonderful clumps as yours.
'Pat Mason' looks really nice. :)

Villu

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2023, 03:07:47 PM »
To finish March off on a more positive note, some more of my favorite snowdrops in my garden earlier this week. By now everything is covered with snow once again.  >:(

I bet it is same for Leena! :D

711914-0
Galanthus elwesii 'Rosemary Burnham'

711916-1
Galanthus elwesii 'Margaret Biddulph'

711918-2
Galanthus 'Cowhouse Green'

Galanthus 'Green Tear'

Snowdrop Bed

Leena

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2023, 12:54:15 PM »
I bet it is same for Leena! :D

Yes, everything is again under snow. Just as they started to come up. It will be a very short snowdrop season again this year here.

Your snowdrop bed is wonderful! What is the big very white clump in the right side on top?

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2023, 12:11:46 AM »
Wow Villu, it is such a joy to see your large clumps of various snowdrops!

I don't have he opportunity to purchase cultivars in Canada, only what is offered for sale from Dutch growers, mainly nivalis, elwesii and woronowii, plus few seeds offered by friends. There is such a large variability even among the purchased bulbs, it is very interesting to observe them.

Leena - sorry it snowed again, I know how eagerly you must be for flowers. I noticed a small clump of nivalis from your seeds with few flowers :)

Galanthus nivalis are in full bloom now.

G. elwesii are in various stages - this one started to flower in February! always very early; in and out of the snow many times.

A giant from G. elwesii and one with a nice heart-shaped pattern.

711954-3

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2023, 09:52:58 AM »
They are lovely Gabriela - I do like the heart.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal