We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Feb 23  (Read 5232 times)

Stefan B.

Re: Galanthus Feb 23
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2023, 03:19:12 PM »
My chipped snowdrop South Hayes, bought 2016 from Edrom Nursery. It doesn't lose its green markings completely. It's slowly developing, maybe because I'm not paying it enough attention.

This was bought two years ago from another nursery, with the assurance that the bulb is not chipped, and I hope to have a nice plant now!

Galanthus 'South Hayes'

Mariette

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2023, 07:24:22 PM »
This year, quite a few snowdrops show modified green marks in my garden as well as in others. For instance, ´Yashmak´ lost its veil.

A collector gardening south of where I live reports the same, whereas others gardening in the cooler north of Germany didn´t notice this change. I think it must be ascribed to the very hot weather last summer with 40 ° C in the shade. Also, ´South Hayes´and some of its seedlings show disturbed marks, though usually flowering with the normal pattern.

It would be great if Your  G. trojanus would go on producing more than 3 tepals - it looks very nice like this!

Stefan B.

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2023, 08:32:48 PM »

It would be great if Your  G. trojanus would go on producing more than 3 tepals - it looks very nice like this!

A temporary anomaly I think...here's a pic from last spring.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2023, 10:03:44 PM »
Alan, what is the name of this snowdrop?
No name.  It grows in a naturalised population of Galanthus nivalis where there is also some naturalised Galanthus plicatus sbsp. byzantinus.
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2023, 10:05:10 AM »
We don't have truly wild snowdrops in the UK but I like to look at the naturalised populations.  Here the snowdrops with less glaucous leaves have finished flowering but those with more glaucous leaves are still going strong.  So does the glaucosity fade with age causing the snowdrops that appeared and flowered earlier to be less glaucous now?  Or are there two different sorts concealed amongst the nivalis population?

710514-0 
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2023, 10:55:30 AM »
So does the glaucosity fade with age causing the snowdrops that appeared and flowered earlier to be less glaucous now?  Or are there two different sorts concealed amongst the nivalis population?

Interesting! :)
Leena from south of Finland

Stefan B.

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2023, 05:41:35 PM »

Stefan B.

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2023, 05:45:58 PM »

Galanthus artjuschenkoae

The name artjuschenkoae was once considered synonymous with galanthus transcaucasicus, but the two plants are completely different in their leaf vernification; transcaucasicus has superspatial vernation (one leaf coils around the other) while artjuschenkoae has applauded vernation (leaves are flat together)

Galanthus transcaucasicus

Leena

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2023, 06:14:34 PM »
Stefan, really nice. I also admired your G.trojanus earlier. My G.trojanus (grown from Holubeck seeds) is still under snow, but it is always starting to grow early, and it is a bit prone to frost damage. It has normal number of petals.
Do you have different kinds of G.lagodechianus (of different origin)? Some of mine are really hardy, but the one from Armenia died last winter, so it wasn't as hardy as others.

Anne Repnow

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2023, 11:48:10 AM »

The name artjuschenkoae was once considered synonymous with galanthus transcaucasicus, but the two plants are completely different in their leaf vernification; transcaucasicus has superspatial vernation (one leaf coils around the other) while artjuschenkoae has applauded vernation (leaves are flat together)
I must check on my G. transcaucasicus - verinteresting information.
Leena: I have the same experience with G. lagodechianus. Those that aren't really hardy have disappeared by now...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 04:38:16 PM by Anne Repnow »
Anne Repnow gardening near Heidelberg in Germany
carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Mariette

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2023, 08:24:16 PM »
Stefan is right - indeed, G. transcaucasicus should be of supervolute vernation.

Gardening in one  of the parts in Germany with milder climate, I never noticed any difficulty regarding hardiness in G. lagodechianus. Yet there are some clones, which tend to be shy flowering, whereas others cause no trouble.

Mariette

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2023, 08:36:14 PM »
Not all snowdrops are garden-worthy.  Here is a huge clump that rarely manages to flower but must have built itself up by division

(Attachment Link)
I noticed the same with some clones of Greatorex-heritage - becoming congested they tend to refuse flowering.

More delightful for me is this green-tipped poc.

Close-up.

´Flocon de Neige´was a present of a dear friend.

´Gloria´, a tall poc growing well.

´Melanie Broughton´with yet another green-tipped poc behind.

Leena

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2023, 07:42:13 AM »
Leena: I have the same experience with G. lagodechianus. Those that aren't really hardy have disappeared by now...

My oldest G.lagodechianus is very hardy and flowers well, and because I liked it, I have now two other clones bought two years ago and hopefully I see how they flower this spring.
I had earlier one clone from Armenia (bought from Augis bulbs) which was an earlier flowering and very nice, different than what my older one was, and it succumbed to last winter. Luckily I was able to buy the same one again last autumn, so I will see how it does the second time. I bought also another one from Augis (origin Piatigorsk) so I hope it will be a good one and different from the Armenian one. We'll see. My old G.lagodechianus was so hardy (growing well even in places without snow and very cold, and never suffered any cold damage) that I thought all of them are very hardy, but clearly not. Maybe because there are several species lumped to G.lagodechianus so that makes the the difference in hardiness. Anyway, I can't wait to see them in a few months time. :)

Mariette, your green-tipped pocs are very nice, and 'Gloria' also.
'Melanie Broughton' has been a slow increaser for me, perhaps I should change its place. It now grows in a dryish spot.

Stefan B.

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2023, 06:18:41 PM »
Stefan, really nice. I also admired your G.trojanus earlier. My G.trojanus (grown from Holubeck seeds) is still under snow, but it is always starting to grow early, and it is a bit prone to frost damage. It has normal number of petals.
Do you have different kinds of G.lagodechianus (of different origin)? Some of mine are really hardy, but the one from Armenia died last winter, so it wasn't as hardy as others.
I only have one type bought 2019 from a Dutch site and I don't know where exactly it is from unfortunately. I have another problem, it hasn't bloomed yet, it's been four seasons and it's developing very slowly. Maybe I'm not taking good care of this snowdrop.

Stefan B.

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2023, 06:22:39 PM »
Stefan is right - indeed, G. transcaucasicus should be of supervolute vernation.

Gardening in one  of the parts in Germany with milder climate, I never noticed any difficulty regarding hardiness in G. lagodechianus. Yet there are some clones, which tend to be shy flowering, whereas others cause no trouble.

Mariette, моят G. lagodechianus сигурно е от мързеливите...  :(

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal