We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Can I pay to forward seeds from YUZAWA ENGEI?  (Read 1733 times)

corydalisambigua

Can I pay to forward seeds from YUZAWA ENGEI?
« on: September 10, 2022, 09:06:41 PM »
Hello Rock Garden people!

Could I pay someone to forward me seeds from Yuzawa Engie in Japan? I have been looking for corydalis ambigua seeds for years and they are the only source I have found but they are not shipping to Canada because the pandemic has limited air travel and therefore air mail. They are shipping to USA. Netherlands, Switzerland, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Belgium, Australia and South Korea. I can buy the seeds, ship them to you, and pay you to forward them to me. If you want to buy seeds from Yuzawa as part of the deal I'm sure that can be arranged! Canada allows the import of small amounts of seed without permits. Thanks for your consideration, happy gardening,

Dorothy

Vinny 123

Re: Can I pay to forward seeds from YUZAWA ENGEI?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 11:09:38 AM »
Hi Dorothy
Will the seller issue a phytosanitary cert', so that import into either the UK or EU would be legal?
I have no idea what perecntage of seed shipments are found by customs, it certainly isn't 100%, but without a phytosanitary cert', any that are found are confiscated and destroyed.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 06:29:51 PM by Vinny 123 »

Buddy

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 06:55:25 PM »
Dorothy,

Yuzawa Engei are now accepting plant orders from the UK and I assume they may take a seed order although they don't say as much on the website.

Buddy

Vinny 123

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 09:55:15 PM »
Yuzawa Engei are now accepting plant orders from the UK

i have not searched the website thoroughly, but I can't see mention of phyto' cert's.

There are countless nurseries and seed suppliers across the world who will accept orders from anywhere that you care to mention, but without a phyto', imports into the EU or UK are illegal. If this nursery offers phyto' cert's, great, no problem.

corydalisambigua

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 10:36:28 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies Vinny and Buddy. Yuzawa Engei does provide phytosanitary certificates for the EU. It looks like they are still not shipping seeds to Canada, unfortunately. Alternately, if anyone knows of any other source of corydalis ambigua seeds please let me know, I have not found any.

Dorothy

Vinny 123

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 04:47:06 PM »
They are only shipping to USA. Netherlands, Switzerland, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Belgium, Australia and South Korea.

Their problem is that Japan Post have ceased sending mail to most countries - a problem that I have come across with things other than seeds/plants. Why they will not use DHL or another carrier......................

The charge for a phyto' is 21 Euros (which is cheap compared to many countries). If customs stop the pacakage, there will be charges on the total value - seeds, plus phyto', plus postage. In the UK that would be around 22% plus 15 Euros admin' charge. I don't know about all of the EU, but in Germany there is also a phyto' inspection on incoming material, which you have to pay for.

The minimum order for seed is 14 Euros, but they do not give a postage cost. Looking on Japan Post website, something like 7 Euros would be somewhere close.

So, minimum cost to get the order to Europe, assuming that the package is stopped by customs, is going to be something around 70 Euros.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
North of France

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 08:14:05 AM »
It is not availavle there at the moment.
But in Germany they have it. https://www.floramontana.de/pflanzen/c-d.html I already asked if this is true.
I will buy some and plant it in one of my floating gardens. In case I get seeds I could send you some. Fresh of course, because Corydalis seeds are usually very short viable.
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 03:30:09 PM »
I have ordered 5 bulbs. Hopefully they are big enough to bloom. ;)
Axel

Buddy

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2022, 08:49:44 AM »
It is only the Small Packet category that Japan Post have ceased sending. If you order plants from Yuzawa Engei you can add seeds to the order to be delivered with the plants (in November). It's an expensive way to get seeds if there are no plants you want.

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2022, 09:25:02 AM »
Are Corydalis seeds from the spring still viable?  Dry stored probably not. So bulbs would be better for you.
Fresh seeds from geophyte are usually sent in May.
Axel

corydalisambigua

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2022, 01:12:54 AM »
Thank you for the input everyone!

As for plants, Yuzawa says. "For now, we can take the plants order only from France, Ireland, UK, USA, South Korea."

I would prefer bulbs as I am impatient, but I need a phytosanitary certificate to bring those into Canada and a phyto from Germany is 60 Euros.

PartisanGardener, if you get seeds from your bulbs next spring, I would happily pay for them! My other hope is maybe there will be seeds in the SRG seed exchange this year. :)

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 02:10:41 AM »
The Phyto from Germany is quite expensive, but the bulbs seem quite cheap here only 5 Euros a piece. But I do not know if he bothers about all the paperwork
and how much is the postcharge to Canada?  Did you ask?

I keep you updated and might post here some flowers ( if I get them to flower).
Axel

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2022, 11:56:17 AM »
Bulbs arrived today. I am quite surprised. 5 bulbs ordered and on the bill.
Look what I got.
11 additional bulbs.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 04:04:41 PM by partisangardener »
Axel

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2022, 08:46:41 PM »
Plantmaterial into US and Canada is not permitted wrote Mr. Schmidt, regrettably .
Axel

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal