We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scilla and relative 2021  (Read 7972 times)

Tristan_He

Re: Scilla and relative 2021
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2021, 09:35:51 PM »

Chionodoxa sardensis.

683371-1

...and seedlings!

683373-2

Lost the label of this one but to judge by photos above it could be forbesii? Anyway it's looking glorious in the rockery at the moment.

683375-3

Scilla bifolia
. I'm trying to get this one going in the garden including in grass areas.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2021, 08:02:40 AM »
...and seedlings!
Funny here no seedlings at all.
North of France

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2021, 08:04:39 PM »
Chionodoxa luciliae 'Alba'
683497-0
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

kris

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2021, 08:16:07 PM »
Chionodoxa luciliae 'Alba'
(Attachment Link)
I love that pristine white flowers
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Roma

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2021, 09:23:56 PM »
a couple of Chionodoxa/ Scilla.  Can't get used to the new names.
This one came as a stowaway in a clump of Galanthus from a friend.

684596-0

This came from the Cruickshank Botanic Garden when I worked there.  We had several species and I'm sure they crossed so I'm not sure which this is.  The big white centre suggests cretica but it is a bigger flower.  There were even a number of x chionoscilla in one patch.  Not sure what they are called now :-\

684598-1
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 01:30:52 PM by Roma »
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2021, 03:52:36 PM »
This genius is great, flowers are renewed for several 2-3 weeks.
North of France

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2021, 04:51:25 PM »
Self sown Chionodoxas in our town place. The clumps are all slightly different. It would be meaningless to assign names to them they are obviously a hybrid swarm. The Scilla bifolia is also self sown but in our country place. It does spread but very thinly and it does not vary. Both pictures from first week of April but not this year.
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2021, 10:37:38 PM »
Hyacinthoides vicentina (thx Yvain)
North of France

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2021, 10:51:46 PM »
Scilla leepii, escaped seeds from the greenhouse i guess by ants. many other leaves appeared around.
North of France

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2021, 06:56:22 AM »
I love the fourth photo of Tristan!
Gote's self-sown chionodoxas are awesome too

Mariette

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2021, 04:46:48 PM »
This hyacinthoides was given to me as H. non-scripta ´Ruth McConell´. It´s certainly a hybrid, and I´m not sure about the spelling of the family name - there are various versions of it. Does anybody know?

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2021, 02:28:15 PM »
Hyacinthoides vicentina (thx Yvain)
Northern France is definitively warmer than southern ! Mine (outside) are still not blooming.
Just 2 precisions :
- the true name is vincentina from cape Saint Vincent in Portugal. The name has been further mispelled but there was no mistake in the original description
- the statut of this taxon is still a bit controversy but it is between a variety and a subspecies : H. mauritanica subsp. vincentina or var. vincentina . I still dont know what to think about your H. mauritanica from around Tanger which is so early. Chouard (1932) still differentiate the 2 species (mauritanicus and vincentinus), Ortiz et al. (1999) stated vincentina as a subspecies and finally Grundman et al. (with Ortiz) lumped everything under H. mauritanica. Finally, Fennane et al. (2014) think that the presence of H. mauritanica in Morocco is doubtful ! I really don't know why... A thing that intrigue me : Shousboe distinguished H. italica from its new H. mauritanica, the former blooming in december (as your H. mauritanica) the latter in march. Still unclear to me, specially because I never went around Tanger, your H. mauritanica still didn't bloom and I'm not sure of my H. flahaultiana ...
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2021, 04:10:59 PM »
This hyacinthoides was given to me as H. non-scripta ´Ruth McConell´. It´s certainly a hybrid, and I´m not sure about the spelling of the family name - there are various versions of it. Does anybody know?
I don't think it is a hybrid Mariette. It looks like one of the aberrant forms of the English bluebell (sorry about the common name, that is what we call them here! Hyacinthoides non-scripta is correct according to Kew.). These strange forms turn up from time to time in the wild. Maybe 25 years ago ? I used to subscribe to a newsletter from a guy who was interested in these genetic mutants of native plants, I think he had quite a collection of them. Unfortunately I can't remember his name and google isn't being very helpful. I did find that Avon Bulbs list a blue and a white one;
https://www.avonbulbs.co.uk/autumn-planted-bulbs/hyacinthoides/hyacinthoides-non-scripta-var-alba-form-of-bracteate
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2021, 04:22:12 PM »
Roland Janssen - "bulborum" is very  interested in these  "odd" bluebells - he's not around the  forum much these  days- being a  convert to  Facebook, but  perhaps it's worth  contacting  him ?   bulborum@gmail.com       
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 04:23:57 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mariette

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2021, 09:35:53 PM »
Thank You, Gail and Maggi! The picture was taken when the plant just started to flower, but now the flowers are definitely bell-shaped. Together with the broad leaves and the flowers being arranged around the stalk, it´s most likely a hybrid.  Incidently, I´m living close to the very few spots in Germany where Hyacinthoides non-scripta grow wild, and visit these woods every year. Occasionally it´s difficult to tell a hybrid from the true species, but most special forms collected in Britain,  like ´Amy Doncaster´and ´Green Lashes´, are hybrids, though often labeled as Hyacinthoides non-scripta. My personal preference is for the true species, as pictured in this bracteate form.  :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal