We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: BLACK (?) TULIPS  (Read 9854 times)

Roma

Re: BLACK (?) TULIPS
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 09:02:09 PM »
Thanks for your replies Luit and Maggi.  When I think about it I do know of multistem tulips but I did not think Black Horse was one.  I'm another forum member who has senior moments!

Roma

Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 09:22:10 PM »
O.k. Maggi, I think I better try to talk to Mr. Connoisseur about this matter.
Otherwise we are repeating something like the famous Crocus Ruby G.   ;D ;D

But as I was at the Hortus Bulborum I had a short talk with the man who does
supervise this garden about some old tulips, because I had seen a few multiflowered plants
in T. Golden Harvest.
This tulip was raised in 1928 and it was one of the tulips my father grew in his nursery,
where I have learned to work with bulbs from planting, to weeding, to pick-off all the flowers, to
digging them out and cleaning them and store them untill planting time again and I never liked it.
So I have seen this tulip for many years and there were never multiflowered stems,
that's why I asked the man in charge.
He told me that he has noticed this a few years ago for the first time in this tulip and
he did not know why this suddenly happened.
I have one picture where it is (alas not so clearly) shown, but you have to believe me.

Tulipa SLG Golden Harvest
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 09:33:26 PM »
Golden Harvest is very bright.. I like that.
Luit, I do not think we need another c. Ruby saga!! Bear in mind that I bought these tulip bulbs as packets in the garden centre from a large firm and we all know that such purchases may not be true to name  :-[
Such as the packet of  yellow Sternbergia bulbs we bought many years ago which turned out to be Sternbergia candida...of course, that was, for us, a good mistake ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 07:55:17 AM »
Bear in mind that I bought these tulip bulbs as packets in the garden centre from a large firm and we all know that such purchases may not be true to name   

I was expecting something like this, Maggi.

As you might say so nice:    "There is often a clue"     8)  ;)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 05:57:22 AM »
Maggi,

Relating multiflowered tulips;

There some tulips with permanent multiflowering habit as 'Georgette', 'Florette', etc. Some as 'Angeligue', 'Toronto', 'Quebeck' have a tenedensy to produce multiflowered stems, especially from top-sized bulbs and from the bulbs, which was treated to high temperatures in August. Some single flowered tulips as Darwin Hybrids 'Holland's Glorie', "Forgotten Dremas" and "Eric Hofsjo" produce multiple floweres some years. If the bulbs of single tulips undertake special temperature treatment in August they flower with their small daughter bulbs.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 06:06:49 AM »
As I promissed I post some black tulip photos from that Moscow breeder's garden. he states that the Single late variety "Black Leader" is the blackes among his 'black' tulips.

'Black Beauty',
'Black Leader',
'Black Magic',
'Black Parrot',
'Queen of Night'

Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 06:19:24 AM »
And few pictures from my Ukrainian friend Dima's garden:

"Africas Prncess' (V. Skuja) - the darkest fringed tulips
"Black Leader"

Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2008, 08:33:46 PM »
What a treat these are Zhirair. Positively scrumptious ;D I adore 'Black Leader' and from the second to last picture, it obviously has very attractive foliage too, a lovely sea-green shade and very healthy-looking.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2008, 10:54:25 PM »
Impressive - such black ones! :o
Best wishes
Armin

Jim McKenney

• Butterscotch: munching in Maryland
    • My Virtual Maryland Garden
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 12:45:57 AM »
As I promissed I post some black tulip photos from that Moscow breeder's garden.

I was surprised to see that when the names are given in Russian (on the images) they are the same names we use in English. Is this generally true, or are there other names used in Russian speaking areas?

Under any names these are exciting!
Jim McKenney
Montgomery County, Maryland, USA
My Virtual Maryland Garden
http://www.jimmckenney.com/
Blog! http://mcwort.blogspot.com/

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 06:00:19 AM »
Zhirair, I think too that Black Leader beats all Black Tulips till now.
Interesting is the shape of the flowers, which is the same as I saw
here kast week when I pictured the black one last week.
There was another one there with the same shape of flower, but
due to the bad light I have no good picture of that one.

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 06:17:15 AM »
Jim,

Russian names sound quite different. Those tulips were given just English names. And the name "Africas Princes" is Latvian.

Luit,

Tulip "Black Leader", is indeed, very deep and has a nice shape. The breeder V.K. Khondyrev also thinks the same way. There is other very dark near-black Russian tulip, called "Anikushin", bred by famous Russian botanist Z.M. Silina. I obtained it last autumn, but, unfortunately, all the samples were virus-infected. I will try to get it from another source.
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 06:24:04 AM »
Here is the picture of the other black tulip, which I did not show before
because of the bad quality.

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 06:26:49 AM »
Luit,

it looks really dark, though I know that in bad light black tulips turned out to look very darker. My tulipa "Queen of Night" looks nearly the same in the pictures made in poor light.
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Jim McKenney

• Butterscotch: munching in Maryland
    • My Virtual Maryland Garden
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 04:57:44 PM »
Jim,

Russian names sound quite different. Those tulips were given just English names. And the name "Africas Princes" is Latvian.

Zhirair, I’m going to ask my question again.

In the image of Tulipa ‘Black Beauty’ which you posted from a Russian source, I can read at the margin of the image the Russian name Тюльпан Блэк Бьюти, which transliterates as Tulipan Black Beauty.

This raises two questions from me.

1.   When this tulip is sold in countries which use the Cyrillic alphabet, is the name Тюльпан Блэк Бьюти used or is there a truly Russian name used? For instance, is Блэк Бьюти translated into true Russian?

2.   Does anyone know why the Russian word for tulip, Тюльпан, is spelled that way and not Тульпан? It is curious: in English, the word tulip is often pronounced tyoulip (what I’m trying to indicate here is that the vowel u is pronounced as a semivowel, like, for instance, ju in German, or the sound you in English). But the word Tulipa as a New Latin word uses the pure vowel u. Does anyone know what the vowel sound is in Turkish? Is it a pure u vowel sound or is it the semivowel sound? Did the word Тюльпан come into Russian directly from Turkish? Or did it come from English usage? It seems unlikely that it came into English from Russian.

My apologies if I've botched the transliteration into Cyrillic.
Jim McKenney
Montgomery County, Maryland, USA
My Virtual Maryland Garden
http://www.jimmckenney.com/
Blog! http://mcwort.blogspot.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal