We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scilla: S. aristides and others...  (Read 4731 times)

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Re: Scilla: S. aristides and others...
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 09:58:49 AM »
I agree with Franz that Scilla siberica is a nice weed in the grass The area will turn blue and it can be a fantastic sight.
However, It is not a good idea for a formal lawn. It will not look like a lawn until well after midsummmer.
The grow well in woodland too - nearly too well. they are a nuisance in a collection since they emerge everywhere and are lookalikes until they flower.
I got some buried 25cm down in the middle of everything and I cannot get them out at that depth. The depth does not deter them and unlike galanthus they do not move upwards.
I looked for pictures but since I have the Scillas everywhere I found that I had no pictures  :-[ . I post a picture of Chinodoxa instead. Scilla siberica gives a similar effect but darker blue.
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 04:57:17 AM »
Wow!  What a display.  Beautiful!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 10:25:36 PM »
The time for early scillas is over but they will still please us for some time. Sorry for the quality of the second picture. It was not an easy task
in Moscow

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal