Cultivation > Cultivation Problems

Moving tree paeonies

(1/3) > >>

Ali Baba:
I am planning on moving house this year and have a very special tree Chinese tree peony in my garden. It is about 0.5m tall at present, still only a few years old. I'd like to transplant it to a pot and take it with me.
Any advice on the best way to achieve this without setting the plant back too much. Buds are just breaking now.

Thanks
Ali

brianw:
I moved ~10 last week from the open garden, mostly into pots for sale or exchange through my local group. I put a group of 3 in the garden. I am hoping they will be quite happy. Had to cut a few large roots through so potted them into some spare pots to see if they take as root cuttings. I had nothing to lose; but you may think differently. They varied in height from maybe 6" to 3', some multi-stemmed. Seed grown.

Ali Baba:
Thanks that's encouraging. What is the root structure like? Mine was originally grafted on a herbaceous paeony root but must have its own roots now.

Gail:
I brought a plant of 'Lydia Foote' with me to Norfolk - lifted from the garden this time of year. It had a fairly substantial root system so I took a spade to it; one portion is doing well in the front garden here, two more have gone to neighbours.

Ali Baba:
Thanks Gail, will be getting the spade out shortly  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version