We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillaria 2019/20 season  (Read 14876 times)

WSGR

Re: Fritillaria 2019/20 season
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2020, 07:48:11 AM »
Steve Garvie

Fantastic Fritillarias. Reason I click on the forum. I LOVE the last one! Amazing!

Tristan_He

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2020, 11:18:08 AM »
Seconded, you have a stunning collection Steve! Love seeing these.

Tristan_He

« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2020, 09:37:00 PM »

Fritillaria pyreniaca
, typical and yellow forms. This is the first year they have flowered, from seed exchange seed about 4 years ago. I think I may have caught the Frit bug...

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2020, 11:49:02 AM »
Some pics of Fritillaria meleagris, the first ones from the Botanic Garden of Wuppertal, the latter ones from my garden
- and also a sign that I am not the only one who loves the flowers  ;)

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2020, 06:35:38 PM »
Two indigenous frits from France

Fritillaria involucrata and Fritillaria pyrenaica
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2020, 05:43:18 AM »
Some Fritillaria meleagris selections - the first two from Gotland, Sweden - found by Henrik Zetterlund and the third from Sulev Savisaar, Estonia
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2020, 11:23:51 PM »
Fritillaria pontica, maiden bloom.

Fritillaria gussichiae
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2020, 11:25:20 PM »
Fritillaria crassifolia -- I'm not sure what made the stalk bend the way it has.

Fritillaria affinis, one of several coming into bloom
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

ArnoldT

« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2020, 05:43:24 PM »
Fritillaria meleagris Alba
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2020, 03:25:14 PM »
The last of the American Frits here (the first two were actually in flower at the start of the month):

Fritillaria liliacaea -two different clones in this pot with obvious differences in flower shape. Perhaps the plant on the left is a hybrid as the flowers look like biflora.

Fritillaria biflora ssp. ineziana

Fritillaria affinis

Fritillaria affinis var. tristis

Fritillaria affinis var. lutea

Fritillaria recurva
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Steve Garvie

« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2020, 11:54:30 AM »
The last of the Far-Eastern species in flower here:

Fritillaria pallidiflora -grows well in gritty soil in the open garden (with some shade from wind and strong sun).

Fritillaria hupehensis -a poor image. This plant is not easy in a pot and might be better suited to a sheltered spot in the open garden (perhaps between small shrubs)

Fritillaria meleagroides -this species has a huge range extending from Xinjiang in China westwards to Bulgaria and the Ukraine.

Fritillaria olgae -a rather drab species from the Western Pamir-Alai Mountains which clambers through shrubs and has tendril-like tips to the upper leaves.

Fritillaria taipaiensis -I think this is taipaiensis. Apparently the dark purplish blotches on the outside of the flower can vary from heavy to almost non-existent. Flora of China links to an illustration of this species showing that the inner tepals are broader than the outer tepals which fits with the plant illustrated below. Any thoughts would be most welcome. (The plant was raised from SRGC seed labelled as hupehensis).

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Steve Garvie

« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2020, 03:14:13 PM »
Last of the European Frits in flower here:

Fritillaria tuntasia -some consider it to be a form of obliqua. My bulbs flower almost a month later than my obliqua and have distinctly curly leaves.

Fritillaria minima -A small snowmelt species. The yellow flower develops orange tips when pollinated.

Fritillaria whittallii

Fritillaria ehrhartii

Fritillaria epirotica -a dwarf, dumpy species with curled glaucous foliage and large bells.

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

kris

« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2020, 03:20:47 PM »
nice range of Frits Steve. I can grow only F.meleagris , pallidiflora and F.camchatka. 
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2020, 07:31:47 AM »
Very nice plants, Steve. Some are quite dramatic looking, like F.affinis var tristis.
Like kris I have only a few Fritillarias. F.pallidiflora grows well here in open ground in heavy clay, even increases. F.meleagris and F.camschatcensis grow also well, and I'm happy that F.grandiflora has settled and grows well (but hasn't increased yet). It is so big. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Steve Garvie

« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2020, 09:21:40 AM »
Many thanks Kris and Leena.

Apparently pallidiflora grows wild in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and North-west China (Xinjiang). These areas have a long cold continental winter with snow cover; similar to your conditions. Other species from there include walujewii and verticillata which should grow in your conditions (with good drainage and a gentle drying over the Summer). Both Of these species are available commercially and sometimes as seed. Tortifolia and yuminensis also grow in cold continental conditions in the NW of Xinjiang but are hard to get hold of.

The other group worth trying are some of the Turkish snowmelt species such as alburyana, aurea and minima as well as armena, caucasica and the crassifolia group. These will need some cover over the Summer so that they don’t get too wet in dormancy.

Surprisingly some of the semi-desert species such as bucharica, stenanthera and gibbosa might be worth a try if seed-raised and then introduced as semi-adult bulbs. These would need planted in very well-drained soil. Growth appears after snow-melt as temperatures warm in the Spring. Once the plants became dormant in early Summer they should be lifted and stored dry at room temperature before being replanted in the late Autumn -just before significant frost and snow return.

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal