We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Crocus / Re: News from the Crocus Group
« Last post by WimB on May 13, 2024, 06:04:15 PM »
It's that time of the year again, when I'm begging for seeds for the seed exchange of the Crocus Group...the mails have been sent out, those who are a member and haven't received an e-mail, please let me know! And those who want to participate in the exchange, just send me a PM.
Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: Paeonia 2024
« Last post by Jürg P on May 13, 2024, 05:34:51 PM »
It is strange how many names this peony cultivar has:
- Golden Temple
- Golden Temple of Nara
- Souvenir de Maxime Cornu
- Souvenir de Prof. Maxime Cornu
- Kinkaku
- Jing Ge
- Jin Ge
This cultivar was bred in 1907 by Louis Henry, it is the second oldest lutea hybrid - a cross between the species Paeonia suffruticosa and Paeonia lutea.
The problem with this very nice peony is, that the flowers are always hanging down, as they are so heavy (but also beautiful). The influence of P. lutea is not only visible by its yellow colour, but also that it has sometimes not only one flower per stem but a second one below from an leave axil.
I have mine since more than 20 years. It is meanwhile a large shrub of around 1m height and 1m in diameter.721400-0
SRGC Shows Questions and Answers / Re: Aberdeen SRGC Show 11th May 2024
« Last post by Maggi Young on May 13, 2024, 05:11:13 PM »
Oh my, that Lewisia rediviva is absolutely gorgeous, David!  It seems to be a stronger shade of lilac/pink than the one I have seen or grown more usually.  Is it more to a purple shade or is it an effect of the camera?
« Last post by DaveM on May 13, 2024, 03:05:06 PM »
A great welcome and day out at the show. Many thanks to all those who helped to make it so.

When I left home on the Friday afternoon the flower buds on this Lewisia rediviva were tightly closed. What a difference on Sunday morning......
« Last post by Maggi Young on May 13, 2024, 01:46:54 PM »
Dr Rock ( David Millward) tells me that " the show so missed Stan's plants....... but great efforts from Ian Christie, Nick Boss and John Lee. Once again, the Cole-Hamilton's show great promise in Section 2."

Thank goodness for Jill and Jim Cole-Hamilton flying the flag for Section II in Aberdeen!
« Last post by Maggi Young on May 13, 2024, 01:42:46 PM »
Award List  from SRGC Aberdeen Show 2024

The George Forrest  Memorial Medal for  Best plant in Show   :
Dave Millward   Haberlea rhodopensis   

Simpson Salver for Best Rhododendron   
Dave Millward    Rhododendron  ‘Arctic Tern’   

Aberdeen Quaich for  Best Plant in Section II        
Jill & Jim Cole-Hamilton   Daphne ‘Cheriton’   

Walker of Portlethen for Most points in Section I   Ian Christie   500 points   

Esslemont Quaich  for Winner Class 6     Nick Boss, forThree pans of new, rare or difficult types   

Brian Bull Trophy   Winner Class 63 for Two pans of rock plants, distinct (Section II)
Jill & Jim Cole-Hamilton      

Certificate of Merit
   Dave Millward   Ramonda    nathaliae   
Certificate of Merit
   Ian Christie   Paris   luquanensis   
Certificate of Merit
   Dave Millward   Lewisia   ‘George Henley’   
Certificate of Merit
   Ian Christie   Cypripedium   hybrid   

I am grateful for  this list - though  sad to see how this once vibrant show has been so greatly reduced in size with very few exhiibitors.  Thank goodness  those plants exhibited were of good quality!!

I am advised that in the 3 pan class from a single country (Japan in this case) with Epimedium and Maianthemum, the "not-fern" ( my mistake from misreading the photo!)  is Aruncus sylvester var sylvester. These were from David Millward. It is interesting that John Lee (entry on left) came up with the same theme of Japan for his entry. 
« Last post by Maggi Young on May 13, 2024, 01:36:37 PM »
Great photo of an exquisite species of Paris that I don't think I've ever come across before.
  It is a stunner - not too many of those about!
Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: April 2024 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Last post by ruweiss on May 12, 2024, 09:43:48 PM »
Gabriela, the Haberleas were a gift from a good friend and grow since more than 20 years
between the tufa blocks in a northern position. When the temperatures get too high in summer
the leaves shrivel, but recover when it gets cooler and moister again. Friends who traveled widely
in the Balkan told me, that this the normal behaviour at their home places. Ramonda species sow
themselves easily on tufa, but I found no seedlings of Haberlea species until now.
A Ramonda myconii seedling even grows out of a crack at a railway sleeper, situated in semi shade.
« Last post by Redmires on May 12, 2024, 10:05:32 AM »
Great photo of an exquisite species of Paris that I don't think I've ever come across before.
Bulbs General / Re: Gladiolus 2024
« Last post by Ophrys on May 12, 2024, 07:22:54 AM »
Gladiolus tristis is not as dreary as the name would suggest.

721394-0

721396-1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal