We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2023  (Read 5702 times)

Mariette

Re: Trillium 2023
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2023, 06:25:46 PM »
Some trilliums clump quickly, others not at all. The white one to the left is a seedling from 2004, the Trillium cuneatum to the right was bought several years earlier.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2023, 10:32:39 AM »
A lost-label-seedling, Pseudotrillium nivale?

Mariette, have you a picture from inside the flower, to see the stigma?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 10:43:28 AM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2023, 10:48:35 AM »
Trillium grandiflorum ‘Kath’s Dwarf’ and Erythronium citrinum

Trillium tennessense
Belgium

Mariette

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2023, 12:13:54 PM »
Mariette, have you a picture from inside the flower, to see the stigma?
I´m very sorry, Herman, but we left for a holiday a few days after the pic was taken, the flower wasn´t fully expanded then. As far as I could see, filaments and ovary are white; the total plant is 7 cm high. I´m afraid we´ll have to wait till the next season - thank You for Your interest!

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2023, 03:04:01 PM »
I´m very sorry, Herman, but we left for a holiday a few days after the pic was taken, the flower wasn´t fully expanded then. As far as I could see, filaments and ovary are white; the total plant is 7 cm high. I´m afraid we´ll have to wait till the next season - thank You for Your interest!
Mariëtte, Pseudotrillium rivale: the leaves have a long petiole. Yours don’t have that.
Maybe it is a dwarf form of grandiflorum.
Belgium

iakvb_g

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2023, 09:25:42 PM »
Any tips to germinate Trillium spp.? I've even tried from fruit I've just picked, and still, after 2 years, nothing. Am I missing some 'secret ingredient'? Sowed in the garden, in pots, in sand... nothing.

MarcR

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2023, 10:32:01 AM »
........ Now I always try to plant them in groups, since the plants are quite expensive I try to sow as much as possible, but that's not the fastest way.

Herman,

I can buy generous packets of seed of most species for $4 [3.3 Euros] or less.
By giving them alternating cycles of 20C and 4c using room temperature and the refrigerator, I can have seedlings in 1 year and flowers in 3-4 years. Getting 20- 50 plants for 3.3 euros instead of buying expensive nursery stock is, in my opinion, worth the wait; and they don't always take that long. Some give flowers in 2-3 years.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2023, 08:19:49 PM »
Trillium sessile

Trillium erectum, just starting to flower

Trillum grandiflorum, double form -- a good multiplier, living under Rhododendron wardii

Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2023, 08:23:02 PM »
Trillium grandiflorum 'Gothenburg Pink Strain', grown from seed sown in 2017.  It needs to be planted out.

Claire Cockcroft

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2023, 08:25:36 PM »
This trillium was grown from wild-collected seed from Northern California.  It is supposed to be Trillium chloropetalum, but doesn't look like the rest of what I grow.

Claire Cockcroft

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2023, 09:25:44 PM »
A lost-label-seedling, Pseudotrillium nivale?

In addition to the distinct petioles that nivale has, the leaf tips are rounded, and the leaf look is very different.  These pics are in the wild in Minnesota, USA.  Notice also the blunt ends of the sepals.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 02:56:12 AM by Rick R. »
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Mariette

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2023, 10:02:41 PM »
Thank You, Herman and Rick, for Your comments!

Trillium grandiflorum is a species I haven´t sown - if it´s that, it must have been delivered by mistake. The only other white-flowered species I sowed recently is Trillium ovatum - both species might be expected to be taller when flowering.

Another species I sowed is Pseudotrillium / Trillium rivale, one that should have petiolated leaves as well, as far as I know. Only one of the seedlings shows these. I wonder if not many of the seeds distributed are hybrids? Perhaps next season will bring some enlightment.

Marc, it´s great that You can buy large badges of trillium-seed in USA for little money, alas, this would prove difficult in Europe, I think. Also, many trilliums are offered under a wrong name over here, for instance, usually one gets Trillium chloropetalum instead of true kurabayashii.

MarcR

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2023, 05:06:36 AM »
Herman,

I will  buy 2 or 3 packets each of the 5 most sought after species and donate them to the seed exchange. Please give some feedback on what would be most helpful.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2023, 07:46:27 AM »
Herman,

I can buy generous packets of seed of most species for $4 [3.3 Euros] or less.
By giving them alternating cycles of 20C and 4c using room temperature and the refrigerator, I can have seedlings in 1 year and flowers in 3-4 years. Getting 20- 50 plants for 3.3 euros instead of buying expensive nursery stock is, in my opinion, worth the wait; and they don't always take that long. Some give flowers in 2-3 years.
Marc, I have been on Holiday in Italy, so I have been less on the forum. You have an interesting method. How long are your cycles?
I usually sow fresh seeds (3 cm deep) in big pots filled with a mixture of leaf compost, perliet and vermiculite, for the lime loving I add tufa. Old seeds I   soak in water for 24 hours. Then I put the pot in a shady position and the leaves appear after second winter. The seedlings remain in the same pot until flowering time.
In the past my seed source was Trillium-L (of which I have seeds from you), but it is difficult to find other species, than I already have. I am still looking after following seeds: Trillium hagae, Trillium hibbersonii, Trillium maculatum f. simulans, Trillium ovatum var. maculosum, Trillium persistens, Trillium pusillum var alabamicum, Trillium pusillum var monticola, Trillium pusillum var ozarkanum, Trillium pusillum var texanum, Trillium pusillum var virginianum, Trillium recurvatum f. shayi, Trillium viride (not virdescens), Trillium sulcatum forma albolutescens, Trillium undulatum forma enotatum.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 08:23:02 AM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2023, 09:52:41 AM »
I usually sow fresh seeds (3 cm deep) in big pots filled with a mixture of leaf compost, perliet and vermiculite, for the lime loving I add tufa. Old seeds I   soak in water for 24 hours. Then I put the pot in a shady position and the leaves appear after second winter. The seedlings remain in the same pot until flowering time.

This is exactly how I do, too (except I haven't done anything special for lime loving species, but will in the future), and most germinate fine in the second spring.

Claire, your Trilliums are so good. Thank you for showing them. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal