We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Galanthus / Re: Galanthus April 2024
« Last post by ashley on Today at 09:05:21 AM »
Really beautiful Leena, thank you :)
Hepatica / Re: Hepatica 2024
« Last post by Leena on Today at 07:57:16 AM »
My biggest H.pubescens

Hepatica japonica ex Ryaugetsu, really nice and different.  :)

Hepatica / Re: Hepatica 2024
« Last post by Leena on Today at 07:55:38 AM »
Gabriela, I love that multipetal flower! I have similar from your seeds, it is only now opening, but it has flowered already in couple of years.

Snow and very cold nights are finally over, though temperatures may dip below zero during nights but days are warm and sunny.
Everything is happening very fast now. Corydalises are in full flower, as are most Hepaticas.

These next ones are flowering for the first time and were sown from Dryad seeds as multipetal nobilis. They turned out very nice. :)

Hepatica acutiloba

Hepatica transsilvanica 'Lilacina'

« Last post by Leena on Today at 07:48:05 AM »
Two days ago I took a long video (33 min) from my most floriferous place in the garden right now.
There are still snowdrops flowering and crocuses. At the same time Corydalis and Hepatica are also flowering.
Sorry, no English translation, but I have written the names of the plants in the video.

« Last post by Leena on Today at 07:45:01 AM »
Villu, you can grow snowdrops so well! Mine never increase so well or are  such big clumps. Yours are fabulous!

Here snowdrops are over in the most early and sunny places, but in a more shadier spot they are still flowering.

'Midas' has been a very good snowdrop here, and increases well (in spite of what I just wrote), and I divided it last summer.

'Glenchantress' has been very slow to increase, and it always flowers late here. I like this very much.

Meconopsis / Re: Meconopsis 2024
« Last post by Leena on Today at 07:39:00 AM »
Really pretty M. x cookei and flowers look big.

I have sown several times M.quintuplinervia with no success, but couple of days ago I noticed that there is germination  in a pot of M.quintuplinervia sown in January and pot kept outside (nder snow). :)
I am so pleased. :)

Blue Meconopsis are looking good coming up. These are Jim's ex, or maybe I should just say FBG plants. :)

Grow From Seed / Re: Cyclamen Bioag Ful-Power experiment
« Last post by Guff on May 02, 2024, 11:40:41 PM »
Taken today, it's finally been warm enough at night to get them outside. Still putting on a show, but no pure white Alba flowers. Some fade to a white shade.

Cultivation Problems / Re: Pest Problem
« Last post by Zeke on May 02, 2024, 03:47:16 PM »
I had a similar issue with some plants I was growing. It's frustrating how they seem to pop up out of nowhere, even in brand new compost and pots! One thing I learned from my own experience is the importance of keeping an eye on the quality of the soil and pots we use. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, pests like aphids can hitch a ride on new materials. It sounds like you're already taking proactive steps with that Neem oil mixture, which is great! If you're looking for more long-term solutions or prevention tips, I came across this helpful site, richlandpestbee.com, that offers some great insights into organic pest control methods. Might be worth checking out for some additional advice.
Hi everyone, this is my first message.

The Lord of The Rings is a book with millions of fans over the world, and Professor Tolkien himself was a great admirer of plants and flowers.
The remarkable detail of the flora described in his books proves this beyond any reasonable doubt.

Over the years, there have been extensive attempts to identify IRL counterparts for the literary depicted Athelas from The Lord of The Rings Book.
Here is an exquisite thread with the interesting suggestions emerged on stackexchange.
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/244820/is-kingsfoil-derived-from-basil

However, no consistent attempt has been recorded to date in trying to identify the real plant used as Athelas in The Lord of The Rings and Hobbit movies.
The one entered into the collective imagination and recognized worldwide as Athelas.

So I started a thread on stack exchange, https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/287690/which-plant-was-used-as-athelas-in-lotr-hobbit-movies and on European, New Zealand, and British Columbia Botanical forums in order to gather hypoteses, and check them. So this is officially a worldwide attempt of identification.

Presently, the European Botanists advise tend to exclude the Lamiaceae family and to point the attention towards Chaenostoma cordatum or a white Periwinkle species. Here some images.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&taxon_id=501464

But I'd like to hear your thoughts on the topic, according to your experience.

Here the pictures I gathered from the scenes where Athelas appears, collected at a 0.25x speed in order to be as defined as possible, along with the videos at the exact moment.
0:50
https://youtu.be/0d0ZslGu6x8?t=50
2:45
https://youtu.be/RN7bIFTLOPU?t=165
0:00

Thanks to all who will join.

Meconopsis / Re: Meconopsis 2024
« Last post by arisaema on May 02, 2024, 10:30:18 AM »
"Dad" (M. quintuplinervia) opened his first flowers today, so I could get some comparison pics. Not sure if this is 3 or 4 different clones, they're all spreading, I'm guessing the clumping ones may have perished from lack of division over the years.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal