We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Ian Young's Bulb Log - Feedback Forum / Re: Monthly Bulb Log Diary 2024
« Last post by Robert on Today at 04:51:35 PM »
Hello Ian,

Thank you so much for another pictographic tour of your garden. Words cannot convey my appreciation for your photographs and descriptions.

Why do I garden?

For me this question cannot be answered with words, however the answer to the question takes its form in our garden. Closed-loop sustainability can be seen everywhere in our garden and even in our activities beyond our garden. For example, the 2024 barely crop will be ready to harvest in the coming weeks. Last night I ate barley cakes made from our 2023 barley crop. This is real food grown from compost made from biomass created in our own garden. No chemicals. No poisons, including “organic” poisons. I learned much of this from Masanobu Fukuoka and the folks at Ecology Action, Willits, California. Today is a “training” day – something I learned from one of my teachers Mr. Tri Thong Dang many decades ago. There are no guarantees on this planet, but good food and good exercise do help keep the gardener younger and healthier or at least put the odds in my favor.

A current tour of our garden will find Ethiopian two-rowed barley and Ethiopian Blue-tinged wheat ripening side-by-side with myriad of vegetables, fruit trees, small fruits (like strawberries), medicinal herbs, cover crops (such as clover and vetch), and a cornucopia of ornamental plant species, many of which are blooming right now. We grow Montana Morado and Oaxacan Green maize not because they are “rare” varieties but because they fill our needs. Both are open-pollenated varieties – so we can save our own seed. Montana Morado maize is a soft flour corn and grinds easily in our hand grain grinder. We grow Kanto Wase upland rice because it tastes better and is easier to thresh than other varieties of upland rice. We breed our own vegetable varieties to create regionally adaptable varieties that will thrive in our garden. We grow and breed our own ornamental species for the same reasons. Why I garden is very complex and not an easy question to answer.

Thank you again for the monthly tours of your garden!
Ian Young's Bulb Log - Feedback Forum / Re: Monthly Bulb Log Diary 2024
« Last post by Ian Y on Today at 10:11:39 AM »
Want to know why I garden? Please click the link for the latest Bulb Log to find out why and see some of this months highlights.

https://www.srgc.net/documents/bulb%20logs/240515095947BULB%20LOG%200524.pdf
Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: Paeonia 2024
« Last post by Stefan B. on May 14, 2024, 08:24:29 PM »
It is very nice when you manage to capture the moment when the peonies bloom!

Paeonia officinalis 'Rosea Plena'

Paeonia  'Daisy Coronet'

Peony 'Anderson's Kaleidoscoop'
« Last post by Gail on May 14, 2024, 07:12:01 PM »
Mine are behind Stefan's, Lemon Chiffon has just opened here.
We've had a few days of warm sunshine and now they are all coming out in a rush; you want to tell them to slow down so you get chance to appreciate each one...

Paeonia 'Lemon Chiffon' with bees

Paeonia ‘Wu Kong Xiu Xing’
« Last post by Maggi Young on May 13, 2024, 09:33:43 PM »
Still only tight buds here in Aberdeen, so it's a real pleasure to see these flowering elsewhere.
SRGC Shows Questions and Answers / Re: Aberdeen SRGC Show 11th May 2024
« Last post by Maggi Young on May 13, 2024, 09:31:09 PM »
Fingers crossed for a good colour on the second plant, then.   8)
Pleione and Orchidaceae / Re: Pleione 2024
« Last post by ruweiss on May 13, 2024, 09:26:01 PM »
These Pleiones survived our last (mild) winter in the open garden. Left plant is P. formosana, middle P. formosana alba and at
right is P. limprichtii. Nothing special, but I like the anyway. Got the white plants from a late friend without name and origin.
« Last post by ruweiss on May 13, 2024, 09:12:28 PM »
Photographed these Peonies one week ago.
All the plants are from seed:
« Last post by arisaema on May 13, 2024, 06:57:19 PM »
It is strange how many names this peony cultivar has:
- Golden Temple
- Golden Temple of Nara
[...]
- Kinkaku
- Jing Ge
- Jin Ge

It's lovely, I grew it years ago, and I need to find it again! All the Japanese and Chinese names above are basically the same, 金閣, directly translating to Golden Pavillion.
SRGC Shows Questions and Answers / Re: Aberdeen SRGC Show 11th May 2024
« Last post by DaveM on May 13, 2024, 06:39:16 PM »
The image is a reasonable reproduction of the true colour; the plant is possibly a little paler but not hugely. I would say this is more towards a purple than pink - maybe 'bright lilac'.
I bought 2 young plants of Lewisia rediviva from Susan Band when she closed Pitcairn down. This one flowered for the first time last year. I'm awaiting first flowering of the second one to see what its colour is - buds are well developed..... hope it's also a strong colour. Textbook descriptions include a colour range from almost white through deep pink and even carmine.
As you say utterly gorgeous!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal