We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Allium 2010  (Read 130463 times)

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
Re: Allium 2010
« Reply #300 on: July 14, 2010, 06:56:59 AM »
Some allium flowering now
1. Allium pseudoflavum
2. Allium carinatum pulhellum in the evening sun
3. Allium flavum
4. Allium sikkimense
5. Allium angulosum
6. I received this as Allium splendens var. kurilense, but it looks much like Mark's Allium sernuum (deep pink). Mark, what do you think of it?
in Moscow

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #301 on: July 14, 2010, 12:34:12 PM »
Some allium flowering now
1. Allium pseudoflavum
2. Allium carinatum pulhellum in the evening sun
3. Allium flavum
4. Allium sikkimense
5. Allium angulosum
6. I received this as Allium splendens var. kurilense, but it looks much like Mark's Allium sernuum (deep pink). Mark, what do you think of it?

Oleg, nice profile photos on each!  The A. pseudoflavum is lovely, if you get any seed on that one, I would certainly love to try it. 

Regarding the last one, there is no published Allium name of "kurilense" nor does there exist a combination A. splendens var. "kurilense", anything by such an invalid name is something else.  There are in fact, two published subspecies names of Allium splendens, ssp. insulare (its current status is in doubt) and ssp. prokhanovii, which I believe has been elevated to species level as A. prokhanovii.

In cultivation, this thing called "Allium splendens var. kurilense" is everywhere, even though it is a bogus made-up fictitious name, and invariably plants that get sent out under this name are Allium cernuum, or more likely, Allium thunbergii or Allium virgunculae.  The tip-off should be as well, that Allium splendens is a small bulbous species, with very narrow upright leaves and stems, and tight little drumstick knobs of light lilac flowers, not terribly exciting.  All the things that sent out as "kurilense", either as seed or plants, look nothing like Allium splendens.

As a consolation, you have ended up with a rather good form of Allium cernuum.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:10:47 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

arisaema

« Reply #302 on: July 14, 2010, 03:41:55 PM »
re;Allium sp. SBQE 1179
Question re:  Allium sp. SBQE 1179

Has this one been identified?

Re: Allium sp. SBQE 1179

Please post a photo and some details about the plant.

Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, near the New Hampshire border, USDA Zone 5
antennaria@charter.net

Some bad pics:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:24:42 PM by Maggi Young »

TheOnionMan

« Reply #303 on: July 14, 2010, 09:05:28 PM »

Arisaema, I have not looked extensively at the Flora of China yet, but I was wondering, can you either take a cut-away closeup photo which shows the inner and outer filaments... many species determinations depend on whether the inner or outer filaments are toothed or not.  In lieu of that, if you could make a simplistic diagram such as the sample one I show, then scan it and post here, that would work too.  An initial guess is that it is Allium polyrhizum, but I need this additional bit of information to help narrow in on possibilities.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:13:57 PM by Maggi Young »
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

arisaema

« Reply #304 on: July 14, 2010, 09:33:38 PM »

Thanks! These pictures are terrible, but as far as I can see it's the inner filaments that are toothed (like in the illustration). I can take measurements of the flower or pictures of the tunic and bulb if you need them?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:13:47 PM by Maggi Young »

TheOnionMan

« Reply #305 on: July 15, 2010, 04:58:04 AM »

Thanks! These pictures are terrible, but as far as I can see it's the inner filaments that are toothed (like in the illustration). I can take measurements of the flower or pictures of the tunic and bulb if you need them?

Thanks, those photos helped.  The line drawing is taken from the tepal and filament shape of A. polyrhizum, so having toothed filaments is telling.  I don't want you to disturb the plant in a any way, but if you do unpot it sometime to plant it out, please let us know what the bulbs are like... there is a drawing of A. polyrhizum showing the strongly reticulate bulb coats.

There are two species very close to each other, both from Qinghai, that seem to match your plant, but indeed tepal dimensions are important to tell the two apart.  Can your measure the tepal length and width of your plant (both inner and outer tepals).  The two species are Allium polyrhizum and A. subangulatum.  There might be other possibilities too.  Here are links to both botanical descriptions, and the tepal dimensions of each.

Allium subangulatum
tepals 6-8.5 mm long × 2.5-3 mm wide
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=240001062

Allium polyrhizum
tepals 3-5 mm long × 1.5-2.5 mm wide
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200027519

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:29:44 PM by Maggi Young »
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #306 on: July 15, 2010, 08:18:16 AM »
Mark, insects are at work so i believe I'll have some seeds. Send me an e-mail with the address and you are guaranteed the seed.
Thanks for clarification about Allium splendens. Anyway this Allium cernuum is the tallest and darkest in my garden
in Moscow

arisaema

« Reply #307 on: July 15, 2010, 08:38:10 AM »

Thanks again! Tepals are 5.5 x 2mm, so they weren't much help... Inner and outer tepals are more or less identical, there's very little overlapping at the base. I'll get a picture of the tunic once the rain stops, seem to remember it being pale beige.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:12:48 PM by Maggi Young »

arisaema

« Reply #308 on: July 15, 2010, 01:32:33 PM »

...and the tunic is indeed reticulate :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:13:02 PM by Maggi Young »

TheOnionMan

« Reply #309 on: July 15, 2010, 01:52:24 PM »

Arisaema, based on tepal size, on the smaller side like A. polyrhizum as compared to A. subangulatum, I'd probably go with A. polyrhizum as the ID.  HOWEVER, while it seems a good fit, I offer the disclaimer that doing this type of over-the-web plant ID'ing, and not necessarily going through the keys from absolute start to finish, without all of the characteristics at hand, there's a possibility it is something else.  That said, I have a fairly high level of confidence it closely matches the description of Allium polyrhizum, and it is a species found in the same area as the SBQE location in China.

Thanks also for cooperating with the request for more details, the bulb coats are just as I would have expected.  In this ID case, both polyrhizum and subangulatum have similar bulb coats, the benefit of seeing this characteristic is to further cement the identification to the right possibility of allied species.

Keep that one growing and hopefully donate seed to seed exchanges one day.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:29:58 PM by Maggi Young »
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

arisaema

« Reply #310 on: July 15, 2010, 02:49:23 PM »

I can add a "cf." to the label if you prefer, but as far as I can tell it matches the description in the FoC perfectly  :)

If you have time for another one I have some better pictures of Magnar's Caucasus-species. It's measurements are as follows:

Tepal: 11mm x 2mm
Inner filaments: 6mm (+ anthers 1mm)
Outer filaments: 4mm (+ anthers 1mm)
Ovary: 3mm x 1.5mm, with what looks like three locules
Style: 1mm
Pedicel (at anthesis): 10mm
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:51:11 PM by arisaema »

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #311 on: July 15, 2010, 03:08:44 PM »
I have an ID question too.

Last year I received three bulbs, two as Allium cyaneum and one as Allium sikkimense. One of them looks quite different and the other two are quite similar. The problem is that one of the A. cyaneum looks like the sikkimense and I'm not sure which is which. See (not so clear) pics below.

Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

TheOnionMan

« Reply #312 on: July 15, 2010, 03:15:41 PM »
I have an ID question too.

Last year I received three bulbs, two as Allium cyaneum and one as Allium sikkimense. One of them looks quite different and the other two are quite similar. The problem is that one of the A. cyaneum looks like the sikkimense and I'm not sure which is which. See (not so clear) pics below.

Wim, all three are Allium sikkimense.  The species is represented in Hort by a number of forms.  Key difference in telling sikkimense from cyaneum: stamens not exserted in sikkimense, long exserted in cyaneum.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #313 on: July 15, 2010, 03:25:01 PM »
Thanks Marc,

You're really an onion-God  ;)  ;D
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

TheOnionMan

« Reply #314 on: July 15, 2010, 03:27:24 PM »

If you have time for another one I have some better pictures of Magnar's Caucasus-species.

Arisaema, excellent set of diagnostic photos!  Isn't this the same Allium that we've seen on this forum before, a large flowering patch of lovely light pink - dark pink striped flowers?  I believe it is.  Wasn't able to pinpoint an ID on it before, but the detail photos sure help.  The difficulty here is that the Caucasus cover a number of regions and several countries, and thus different floras, some of which are not generally accessible, if even they exist.  There is some possible species coverage with adjacent countries and their floras (Flora of Turkey, Flora of Iran, Flora of the USSR), but I know for example a number of new species are described in such places as Armenia, and who knows about tghe taxonomic state of affairs in Georgia and Azerbaijan.  I'll see what I can come up with; although may forward this to Dr. Reinhard Fritsch and Kurt Vickery to see if it "rings any bells" for either of them.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal