We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ponteland (Newcastle) Autumn show 2011  (Read 5395 times)

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
Re: Ponteland (Newcastle) Autumn show 2011
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 11:57:24 PM »
Small cushions;  various small bulb classes; classes for plants from single countries /continents

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 12:10:43 AM »
grey leaved plants; other foliage; berries; things from seed; very attractive sets of alpine flowers in little vases; new class for alpine fruits/seeds etc in vases -to test the interpretation two deliberately included shoots from larger plants/trees and were duly  NAS.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 12:18:07 AM »
a few of the plants in sections two and three

SusanS

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 08:40:58 AM »
Smashing photos Stan, thanks for posting such a comprehensive "tour" of the show. 

It was a lovely day out, Darren and I enjoyed our first visit to the Ponteland Show.

Susan
Darren's t'other half

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »
Thanks for taking all those photos Stan, it gives a great flavour of the show, from plants to people (via the food!)
I was taking photos for the journals during the day and will add some close-ups to supplement Stan's images - I'll add them through the day as a break from the paperwork that I'm doing on the computer all day  :-\
Firstly Sue Gill's wonderful Cyclamen mirabile, then Ian Kidman's Viola spathulata, and Anne Vale's Vaccinium vitis-idaea 'Red Candy' (aptly named!)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 04:08:27 PM by Peter Maguire »
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Peter Maguire

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »
3 more.
Mimulus niandinus from George Young. A slightly sprawling plant but the flowers were attractive, and unusual for a Mimulus. The close-up unfortunately shows up the dust/sand on the leaves, time for a quick dusting with a paintbrush I think.  ::)
Oxalis perdicaria 'Cetrino' from Ivor Betteridge. A beautifully compact little plant, with a delicate lemon yellow colour to the petals (a difficult colour to get right in a photograph, but I think that this is correct)
Primula capitata from Mike Dale. This plant had 11 flower heads, and had apprently been flowering for months, so it was not just a couple of unseasonal flower spikes. (there was also a very nice and well-flowered Daphne petraea 'Michele' from Ian Kidman whuch would not have looked out of place in a spring show but I forgot to photograph it  >:( )
Peter Maguire

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

Peter Maguire

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 04:05:58 PM »
Two more for now, both from husband and wife teams.
Shortia uniflora grandiflora shown by Carole and Ian Bainbridge
Cyclamen graecum ssp anatolicum - Bob and Rannveig Wallis. Most of the cyclamen on display, and certainly all of the 'big' cyclamen, were a little patchy in flowering, with none of the wall to wall flower coverage we have seen in previous years, probably a reflection of a hard winter followed by a peculiarly difficult summer. This was my favourite of the cyclamen on the show bench, with dainty, well-marked leaves and an intense pink flower - showing it's best side.
Peter Maguire

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 04:18:54 PM »
Lovely pics everyone.  I didn't take many myself, serving teas and cakes, as seen in pics above, but had a wonderful day and thanks to everyone who made it all happen!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 04:27:25 PM »
What a great show it looks!  Well done to all the exhibitors and I hope all those beavering to feed the masses have been having a quiet day today.

The last photo of the cyclamen , with the leaves covered in pollen, reminds me of quite a discussion I once had when judging, with a colleague who wanted to disregard some similar plants for prizes since, in their opinion, the fact that the pollen was falling was a sign the flowers were "past it".  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 04:42:17 PM »
A final snap of two local worthies in action

veteran vet

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 07:48:58 PM »
re Peters comment on my Mimulus miandinus with regards to sand etc...it was actually growing in the sand plunge in one of my greenhouses as a self sown seedling (original plant from Ron McBeath) and as it was flowering well, allbeit a bit sandy from wind blown sand (its right at the open door end so gets all the wind going and theres been a lot of late) I dug it out of the sand and potted it up for the show last Friday hoping it would not droop, as I thought folk might like to see it. It used to be called 'Andean Nymph' but Ron says this is the name now. Looking in the plunge today I see there are more self sown seedlings appearing as the exhibited plant had been in flower for weeks and weeks and I have left on the old capsules to self sow.

angie

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »
Thanks folks for sharing this great day with us. What a great show. One to put in my calendar for next year.

Can't get over the amazing amount of plants that are looking so good. Well done.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

james willis

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 07:57:47 PM »
Thank you Stan for being so quick off the mark with the photos.  I have just had a splendid wallow in nostalgia and perhaps perversely, took greater pleasure from seeing so many known faces and views than I did from the super plants.  I really must get back to the North East next year either for the Hexham or the Ponteland Shows.
James Willis, 86400, Blanzay, France

Onion

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 08:33:49 PM »
Every time, when I see pictures from a show I ask me:
Do you know what a dream this is for people from the continent?

So congratulation for Stan and all the other person that such shows are now available for the poor members of the continent  :'( :'( :'( via the Forum.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 01:25:14 AM »
Lovely pics. Thanks for posting. That Nerine is beautiful. 8) Must look out for it here in New Zealand. ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal