We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2020  (Read 11045 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Trillium 2020
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2020, 08:55:42 PM »
I have grown this Trillium from seed ex as T.erectum hybrids, it was 2013 I think, and now they flower for the first time, both plants have similar flowers. :)

Wow! very nice Leena. Maybe not a hybrid and var. album? T. erectum hybridizes indeed with various others, including with T. flexipes shown above.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2020, 09:04:35 PM »
Gabriela with sessile Trillium I meant the sessile group (the other group is the pedicellate one). In the Gentiana acaulis group there are different species: angustifolia, clusii, acaulis ... But Gentiana acaulis as species is something that is many times used wrong.
I have added my Trillium sessile, the flowers are more compact as the other Trilliums of the sessile group.

Herman, your T. sessile specimens are very nice. But I don't think you open the link to see how variable this species can be.
All of them are 'true' T. sessile. It just happened for you to get some with short petals, that's all. Many times we are acquainted only with the forms of certain species grown in the gardens without being aware of their variability.

Screenshoots from Flora of Michigan, there should be no problem since the pictures have the author names. All T. sessile in wild habitats.
I recommend this very accessible on-line searchable flora, there are keys for the species, simpler to use than FNA. https://michiganflora.net/

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

kris

« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2020, 02:09:10 AM »
Beautiful plants show well even without great pictures Kris :)
I'm glad about your T. grandiflorum seedlings, but why just 3 of them?
I got only three seedlings. But still I am happy. May be  the cold winter is the culprit. I tried Trillium grandiflorum plants  several times but always failed.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Gabriela

« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2020, 04:41:36 PM »
I got only three seedlings. But still I am happy. May be  the cold winter is the culprit. I tried Trillium grandiflorum plants  several times but always failed.

You know how it goes Kris: try again, fail again, fail better :))
How do you keep your seedlings pots Kris, have you tried the method I showed in the blog - by 'planting' them in the ground?
It leads to great results with minimal effort for many other species which need to spent 2-3 years in the same pot, not just Trillium.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2020, 05:03:09 PM »
Herman, your T. sessile specimens are very nice. But I don't think you open the link to see how variable this species can be.
All of them are 'true' T. sessile. It just happened for you to get some with short petals, that's all. Many times we are acquainted only with the forms of certain species grown in the gardens without being aware of their variability.

Screenshoots from Flora of Michigan, there should be no problem since the pictures have the author names. All T. sessile in wild habitats.
I recommend this very accessible on-line searchable flora, there are keys for the species, simpler to use than FNA. https://michiganflora.net/
Gabriela, I have seen the link, but I was not convinced that they all are true Trillium sessile, therefore there should be DNA research. Also in the wild there will be crossings with different sessile forms just as they do in the garden. I presume that there are different sessile forms in Michigan.
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2020, 06:36:09 PM »
Wow! very nice Leena. Maybe not a hybrid and var. album? T. erectum hybridizes indeed with various others, including with T. flexipes shown above.

Thanks Gabriela. I don't know why the seeds were named hybrid, but I guess for a reason, and if the mother was a hybrid, then the seedlings must be, too. I have been wondering what is a difference with var album and a hybrid, but because I don't have var album, I can't compare. These my plants came up later than normal red T.erectum and started to flower at least two weeks later, maybe almost three weeks later. They don't grow in the same bed, but I wouldn't have thought the bed where these white ones are was any colder than others.
Leena from south of Finland

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2020, 05:12:18 PM »
The flower from Trillium chloropetalum var. giganteum is very impressive, but also the berry.
Belgium

Leena

« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2020, 04:25:49 PM »
Here Trillium berries are not quite yet ripe. This T.chloropetalum 'Rubrum' has only one seed pod ripening even though it had many flowers. I have been wondering all summer about the smaller leaves at the base of the big plant. They look like seedling leaves, what do you think? Or can they come up from the bigger rhizome? Last year I got seeds from this plant, but previous year someone stole the seeds before I realized they were ready. This plant flowered for the first time 2015.
Another question, what do I do now? Should I dig it up and divide?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 05:24:18 PM by Maggi Young »

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2020, 05:43:19 PM »
Here Trillium berries are not quite yet ripe. This T.chloropetalum 'Rubrum' has only one seed pod ripening even though it had many flowers. I have been wondering all summer about the smaller leaves at the base of the big plant. They look like seedling leaves, what do you think? Or can they come up from the bigger rhizome? Last year I got seeds from this plant, but previous year someone stole the seeds before I realized they were ready. This plant flowered for the first time 2015.
Another question, what do I do now? Should I dig it up and divide?
Leena, I would wait and see what the flowers will be. If it is the same colour then you have a bigger clump if not you can still separate them. If it are seedlings then they are older then two years. When the tip of the rhizome has been damaged then you get more shoots at the same rhizome.  If you want to be sure, remove a bit soil and see of there are different rhizomes. Here most of the leaves are already disappeared because of the dry, hot (30°C in shade) summer.
Belgium

Leena

« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2020, 07:12:04 AM »
Herman, thank you! :) I will wait for the flowers, and you are right that the leaves look more than two years old. It is possible that there had been seeds earlier but I'm almost sure if there had been seeds, I would have taken them to sow myself, because I'm still at the stage where try to have more trilliums in the garden.  :)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2020, 02:51:22 PM »
This Trillium sp. is the only one we've been able to grow and re-flower, though it took 10 years to get the first bloom and it doesn't flower every year. The first pic was taken 2 days earlier.
I presume it's a form of Trillium chloropetalum but stand to be corrected
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2020, 11:56:54 AM »
This Trillium sp. is the only one we've been able to grow and re-flower, though it took 10 years to get the first bloom and it doesn't flower every year. The first pic was taken 2 days earlier.
I presume it's a form of Trillium chloropetalum but stand to be corrected
cheers
fermi
Fermi, can you take a picture inside the flower to see the anther sacs and the ovary.
Description F. W. Case: Stamens erect, 17-26 mm long filament widest at base about 4 mm long; anther sacs introrse; connectives purple, prolonged about 1 mm beyond anther sac.
The leaves are right. But the sepals are so dark?
Belgium

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2020, 05:23:16 AM »
Fermi, can you take a picture inside the flower to see the anther sacs and the ovary.
Description F. W. Case: Stamens erect, 17-26 mm long filament widest at base about 4 mm long; anther sacs introrse; connectives purple, prolonged about 1 mm beyond anther sac.
The leaves are right. But the sepals are so dark?
Hi Herman,
I can't see the ovary clearly in this pic but it may make things clearer - the flower may not be fully mature yet
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2020, 07:36:04 AM »
Hi Herman,
I can't see the ovary clearly in this pic but it may make things clearer - the flower may not be fully mature yet
cheers
fermi
Hi Fermi,
Stamens look right, I would also give it the name Trillium chloropetalum.
Greetings,
Herman
Belgium

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2020, 10:14:09 AM »
Thanks, Herman,
I'll go with that
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal