We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Rock Garden and Greenhouse - Ardivachar  (Read 18953 times)

Chris Johnson

Re: New Rock Garden and Greenhouse - Ardivachar
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2015, 10:15:31 AM »
I showed the construction of this covered rockery in my Ardivachar blog, but it's probably better suited here.

To recap: the base was filled with sandy soil with 20mm chippings worked into the upper surface for extra drainage. Rocks were then laid, contours and raised areas were filled with sand. The surface was treated with a thin layer of John Innes compost with 50% extra grit. As planting progresses, a top dressing of grit will be applied.
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2015, 01:16:11 PM »
What a long-term job, i'm curious to see how the plants will thrive in their cocoon.
North of France

Chris Johnson

« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2015, 02:53:39 PM »
Hi Yann

It's been another year of building and hard landscaping but almost at an end now. I recently redirected this part of the development to Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock..... but perhaps it would be better to keep it all together here. It has good air-flow with the window and door open (bearing in mind there is always some wind even on 'calm' days) but a nice place to be when it's chucking it down with rain.

The bed has now settled and some rocks are in place. We don't have the luxury of sedimentary rocks so make the most of granite, much of it off the beach which has been rounded with tidal motion. Here are the latest images after some tentative planting.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2015, 02:59:58 PM »
Nice job Chris.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2015, 03:43:07 PM »
Hi Yann

It's been another year of building and hard landscaping but almost at an end now. I recently redirected this part of the development to Crevice Gardening ......in defence of rock..... but perhaps it would be better to keep it all together here. It has good air-flow with the window and door open (bearing in mind there is always some wind even on 'calm' days) but a nice place to be when it's chucking it down with rain.

The bed has now settled and some rocks are in place. We don't have the luxury of sedimentary rocks so make the most of granite, much of it off the beach which has been rounded with tidal motion. Here are the latest images after some tentative planting.

I moved your post from 3rd August back to this thread, Chris - it is reply 120, above ...

A  notice remains in the Crevice  thread to direct here.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Chris Johnson

« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
Nice job Chris.

Thanks, David.

Bit short on plants at present but we have some growing on from seed.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2015, 04:01:49 PM »
  I moved your post from 3rd August back to this thread, Chris - it is reply 120, above ...

A  notice remains in the Crevice  thread to direct here.

Thank you, Maggi. I think it's the best option.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2015, 07:30:04 PM »
Looks great!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

angie

« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2015, 11:00:43 PM »
Just catching up and boy you have been busy. Looking good. Two weeks ago I was in this huge garden centre down south and they had it mostly covered and I thought to myself now if only I could cover my house and garden it wouldn't half make life more enjoyably on the top of this hill.
I suppose I would have to water a lot more  ;D

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Chris Johnson

« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2015, 07:33:32 AM »
Thanks Chris and Angie.

Angie, we had momentary thoughts of covering more of the garden, then reality kicked in. ::) Next year is all about planting and sowing a lot more seeds. I do enjoy the building and landscaping but the joints are starting to creak.

I did notice an air-dryer had crept into the space  ???

Chris Johnson

« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2016, 03:49:32 PM »
Thought it time I added to this blog although little has happened since August. I did build some shelves the full length of the wall which have proved useful for overwintering some pots that needed to be kept dry. It should be good in the spring and summer for pleiones and other plants that require semi-shade.

Not a lot has been planted in the raised bed yet. The only issue I've found is that some bulbs (crocuses, in this case) on the west (wall-side) have grown etiolated. I will removed them in the summer and incorporate some humus for shade-loving plants.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 03:53:40 PM by Chris Johnson »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal