We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2024  (Read 1518 times)

Stefan B.

Galanthus January 2024
« on: January 06, 2024, 07:25:19 PM »
Finally Galanthus plicatus 'Three Ships' bloomed for me too  :)
Since I've had it, every year it's been a little late, I don't know why it happens..

A Galanthus woronowii surprised me today, the others have not yet emerged from the ground.

Mariette

Re: Galanthus January 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 07:23:46 PM »
Galanthus woronowii may flower earlier or later, depending on the origin. Fortunately, I received quite a few different ones from friends, like this tallish form from Piatigorsk, though I do not remember it to be one of the early clones in former years.

Stefan B.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 11:11:13 PM »
I plan to order GALANTHUS WORONOWII P I A T I G O R S K from a Latvian nursery. I want to compare it with mine that I have, how early will it bloom.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 04:02:07 PM »
G.woronowii from Piatigorsk is interesting. I have G.lagodechianus from Piatigorsk (planted autumn 2022), so there must have been someone collecting snowdrops at that location at some point.

I have always admired 'Three Ships', but as it is so early it probably will not do well here. Though 'Mrs Macnamara' is also an early variety and it is a good doer also here. It may come up to the snow early but flowers well only after the snow is gone, in April. I have had it now for ten years and it is really frosthardy even when in flower, unlike some early elwesii-clones which I have had.

No snowdrops at sight here, and it looks like winter will be long and cold this year.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 04:29:34 PM by Leena »
Leena from south of Finland

Stefan B.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 05:54:32 PM »
They bloom nicely! I expect them to be snowed in again tomorrow. Today it was +15 degrees Celsius and the next days the temperature will drop to -7 degrees, this weather will drive us crazy..

Galanthus plicatus 'Three Ships'

Early flowering G. elwesii from seed.

Mariette

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2024, 11:07:15 AM »
In the west of Germany it´s vice versa - right now a lot of snow and temperatures down to -7°C during nights, from Monday onwards + 14 °C - and some snowdrops to show, I hope.  :)

Leena

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 11:36:04 AM »
Stefan, 'Three Ships' looks so good. I like snowdrops with that kind of flowers. :)

Stefan B.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2024, 03:56:01 PM »
New to my collection. :) It's hard to find pictures of this snowdrop on the internet. This variety is characterized by the curved outwards of the outer segments.
    Galanthus plicatus 'Alpha Elegant Turn'

And another beautiful snowdrop... so small and wonderful!

Galanthus nivalis 'Lady Putman'

« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 04:51:27 PM by Stefan B. »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2024, 09:13:50 PM »
New to my collection. :) It's hard to find pictures of this snowdrop on the internet. This variety is characterized by the curved outwards of the outer segments.
 Galanthus plicatus 'Alpha Elegant Turn'
Developed by Ruslan Mishustin in the Ukraine, as PP-R-14 0830 I believe. He was known here as Ru.  He can be found vis facebook,  https://www.facebook.com/ruslan.mishustin

See more of his snowdrops here, too: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/irisgartenwerne/galanthus-von-ruslan-mishustin/
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2024, 04:33:01 PM »
New to my collection. :)

It is always so exciting to see new snowdrops flowering for the first time. :)

MarcR

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2024, 08:00:18 PM »
We had 28" of snow in 10 hours, 2 weeks ago. It's mostly gone now. Some of my G. elwissii and woronowii started blooming when the snow melted down to about 2-3"[4-7 cm].
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 08:16:38 PM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Mariette

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2024, 07:20:53 PM »
That makes one look forward, really!

Stefan, You grow a nice collection!

New in mine is ´Green Bear´.

One of my favourites is ´Sutton Courtenay´.

Stefan B.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2024, 08:15:05 PM »
Thanks Mariette! I see the snow has melted in your garden.
Next week I expect my ´Green Bear´ to arrive from Germany. :) I really liked it when I saw your photo posted on a German forum. Do you know anything more about this snowdrop?

Mariette

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2024, 07:38:27 AM »
´Green Bear´ is one of many more or less poculiform G. elwesii bred by Canadian Calvor Palmateer, who was able to start with old colonies of that species sporting such forms. As I grow some poculiform snowdrops of different species, I came to like forms like this better than the very regular, pure white ones.  :)

Stefan B.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2024, 08:41:26 AM »
´Green Bear´ is one of many more or less poculiform G. elwesii bred by Canadian Calvor Palmateer, who was able to start with old colonies of that species sporting such forms. As I grow some poculiform snowdrops of different species, I came to like forms like this better than the very regular, pure white ones.  :)

Thanks for the info Mariette. I will keep it in my archives.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal