We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Seed Exchange 2021 - 22  (Read 13777 times)

Tomte

Re: SRGC Seed Exchange 2021 - 22
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2022, 09:33:40 AM »
Me too, and my sincerest thanks to all who made this tremendous effort to send seeds across EU boundaries. Just so sad I will not be able to sow most seeds before next autumn.. Bloody stupid legislation indeed.
Tom S.
Upper Bavaria close to Munich, on 700 m

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2022, 09:38:12 AM »
Seeds arrived yesterday - many thanks to all who have taken this immense effort!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

François Lambert

« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2022, 12:24:54 PM »
My seeds arrived yesterday :-)

A big thank you everybody who made this possible.

I think I will sow teh seeds needing cold stratification only this fall, I'm not too much a fan of placing seeds in the refrigerator and having them germinate begin of the summer.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

aldo

« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2022, 08:09:26 PM »
A beautiful collection of Paeonia seeds has also arrived in Italy. Thank you very much.

cosine_alpines

« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2022, 08:08:25 PM »
Received the last (I think!) of my seed exchange order today in Virginia/United States, via the Linden, NJ port of entry.

No seeds rejected and the inspectors there have been very accommodating when mistakes are made - they called me last year when me or a plant society accidentally reused a shipping label, and intercepted, inspected and forwarded a package this year where the plant society had included my permit number but I had forgotten to send them a shipping label. Appreciate the work of all the SRGC volunteers and donors!

I'm hoping there'll be a system next year where I can still donate seeds, maybe through a US member who then aggregates and forwards seeds for a phytosanitary inspection?

MarcR

Re: seed exchange 2021 - 22
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2022, 11:31:01 PM »
Indeed, Diane,  most  bulbous species in particular can be damaged by putting  too soon into the  fridge for storage.  In many cases the  enmbryo has  to complete its development once the  seed  has left the  plant.

What you say is generally true; but, some ephemeral seeds [particularly from Amarylidaceae, and Fumeraceae], will sprout unplanted  if not refrigerated.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2022, 09:00:06 AM »
.... Appreciate the work of all the SRGC volunteers and donors!

I'm hoping there'll be a system next year where I can still donate seeds, maybe through a US member who then aggregates and forwards seeds for a phytosanitary inspection?
I suspect that something like that will be needed for Australia as well - for sending and receiving because our Customs inspectors are also demanding a Phyto,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Tomte

« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2022, 03:39:38 PM »
I wonder, are there already plans for the next seed exchange in terms of non-UK members, in particular from within the EU?
I have bern sparingly collecting seed so far due to this uncertainty (and lack of time) and wonder whether it’s not better to sow them right away if it’s uncertain if I can participate as a donor..
Tom S.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2022, 07:05:17 PM »
As I understand things, Tomte,  there are plans for the SRGC Seed Exchange to go foward - this from the Seed Team :  We intend to run a normal seed exchange for EU members this year.  We understand that the UK government will not require phyto certificates for seed coming into the UK from the EU until 2023, so it should be okay for you to send seed this autumn.  We will have to get phyto certificates for seed going into the EU, but will follow the same arrangements we used last year. 

For 2023-24, we don't know what will happen....................

Details about the seed exchange will appear in the Dryas Newsletter when it comes with the Rock Garden in July, and will be updated on the website when we have any more information.

With best wishes

Ian & Carole Bainbridge
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tomte

« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2022, 09:10:26 PM »
That’s good news, thank you Maggi. Guess I can’t make good for what I‘ve neglected so far and what the ants have carried away (most of it, really), but there‘s still some seed around I guess  ;)
Tom S.

Tomte

« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2022, 10:09:30 PM »
One more question: how is the situation with CITES-listed species like Cyclamen or Galanthus this year? Can I still send them? And is it still possible to include them in my seed order?
Tom S.

MarcR

« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2022, 11:19:48 PM »
Please correct me if i am mistaken; but, I believe that if CITES listed seed is labled garden collected and acccompanied by a verifying photograph, it is exempt.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

bainbridges

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2022, 11:05:32 AM »
Hi folks

CITES seed:  Movement of seed of CITES protected plants is only restricted for plants in CITES Category 1; which is many tropical orchids, aloes and cacti; almost nothing we ever handle fits into CITES 1. You can search on this url to check if you're in doubt.
 https://checklist.cites.org/#/en/search/cites_appendices%5B%5D=I&output_layout=alphabetical&level_of_listing=0&show_synonyms=1&show_author=1&show_english=1&show_spanish=1&show_french=1&scientific_name=Plantae&page=1&per_page=20

Ian Bainbridge

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2022, 11:34:28 AM »
Hello, is there anyone here from France who has managed to send their seeds to the srgc and how?
I have tried to print a postage stamp by internet (a thick envelope), and it blocks because of a form to fill, and incomprehensible requests, even if it is already paid!

thank you

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2022, 09:15:13 AM »
I have sent my mail and hope it arrives well! :D

what about the Surplus Seed Distribution  to members resident in the EU ?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal