We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Zantedeschia  (Read 1607 times)

grenadier

Zantedeschia
« on: March 23, 2019, 02:03:33 PM »
Good afternoon. I am trying to buy a comprehensive book on the genus Zantedeschia/calla I have exhausted all search engine searches to no avail. Can anyone please let me know if they know of one and where it can be obtained from.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Zantedeschia
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 06:11:59 PM »
Perhaps one of the  books on South African bulbs/plants  will be your best  bet.... :-\
for instance .....

Some of the  growers of  South African geophytes  will surely have some  suggestions!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 06:15:06 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

grenadier

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 07:19:31 PM »
 :)Thank you Maggie for your suggestion. I have given thought to this publication that you mention but would really like a book devoted solely to the Zantedeschia. Hopefully someone somewhere will know of one.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 09:46:08 PM »
Arnold  T. doesn't know  of a book purely on callas - but  suggests this  link to help you :
http://www.aroid.org/literature/

grenadier

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 10:15:29 PM »
Hello Maggi, Once again many thanks for all your help on this one. I think your right it would appear strangely enough that there are no publications devoted to what I would have thought to have been a popular genus. I have also looked everywhere for a copy of the book you recommended Grow Bulbs by Graham Duncan, also believe it or not that seems to be marked as unavailable from all the well known book websites as do all the books on bulbs and plants of South Africa.
Who knows one day some expert somewhere will pick up on the fact that there is a need for a book to be written on the subject. I can only hope so.  :)

ArnoldT

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 02:09:14 AM »
Grenadier:

You can find the Graham Duncan "Grow Bulbs" book here:

http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za/Books.asp

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

grenadier

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 11:34:30 AM »
 :) Thank you for that great link ArnoldT. I will be spending some time on their site seeing what they have. I had pretty much given up hope of finding books on South African plants and bulbs here in the UK they seem to be very much impossible to get hold of either out of print or unavailable. Once again thank you.

ArnoldT

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 02:15:11 AM »
Grenadier:

Check out the Pacific bulb society here: https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/bx.html

We have many UK members and have great selections in our bulb and seed exchanges.

Love the B. Franklin quote, one of my favorites.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Jon Evans

• Snapaholic
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 09:50:19 AM »
Hi
There is a Southern African Bulb Group here in the UK.  Our website is here: https://www.sabg.tk/

It meets twice a year - the next meeting is at Winchester on April 7th, where there will be lectures, and plants and books for sale - there are more details on the web page.  Sadly I have to be somewhere else and won't be there.  The group runs a yearly bulb and seed exchange in the summer. 

If you would like more information, please contact me privately.

Hope you find this useful
Jon
Jon Evans
Farnham, Surrey, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 11:36:33 AM »
Hi
There is a Southern African Bulb Group here in the UK.  Our website is here: https://www.sabg.tk/

It meets twice a year - the next meeting is at Winchester on April 7th, where there will be lectures, and plants and books for sale - there are more details on the web page.  Sadly I have to be somewhere else and won't be there.  The group runs a yearly bulb and seed exchange in the summer. 

If you would like more information, please contact me privately.

Hope you find this useful
Jon

Very useful, Jon!  Thanks  -  Are non-members are welcome, there does not  seem to be a mention of that...... ? https://www.sabg.tk/meetings:next:start

Though if  Membership is required, it is not  expensive  ....

"To join the Southern African Bulb Group, or to enquire about joining, email Rodney Sims rodney.sims@tiscali.co.uk

There is at present a once-only administrative joining fee of £5 (GBP), €10 (euro) or $10 (US)."
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:38:46 AM by Maggi Young »

Jon Evans

• Snapaholic
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 06:11:03 PM »
There is a fee (currently £3) to attend each meeting.  I believe non-members are welcome, though they would be expected to join the group if they came regularly (and of course to participate in the exchange etc). 

I should point out that I think there has been a small increase in the 'once-only administrative joining fee', and it may be £6 or £7 now - best to contact Rodney for definitive information about that.
Jon Evans
Farnham, Surrey, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal