We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cemetery plants  (Read 8052 times)

cycnich

• Mister 1000
Re: Cemetery plants
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 05:17:29 PM »
Pat N.,
the Yew tree is amazing! Any idea how estimated old it is?

It is thought to be the oldest yew tree in England and estimated at 1600 years old.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 05:52:37 PM »
Wow  :o Pat,
the oldest Yew tree I have seen is growing in the "Palmengarten" in Frankfurt am Main. Just 300+ years ...
I have a great respect of the age and old relict. 8)
Best wishes
Armin

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 05:58:18 PM »
Pat N.,
the Yew tree is amazing! Any idea how estimated old it is?

It is thought to be the oldest yew tree in England and estimated at 1600 years old.
Not only the oldest but surely the largest as well? It is huge! A wonderful tree.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 06:36:16 PM »
There are a number of very large, old yew trees in Sussex. By some estimates the one photographed by Pat at Wilmington is a relative youngster at 1600 years.  The largest in the county is at Coldwaltham church & this may be about 3000  years old. (see  Owen Johnson, The Sussex Tree Book, Pomegranate  Press, 1998)
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 08:11:23 PM »
My goodness.... yes, fascinating to look into these great old trees.... this site is useful:
http://www.ancient-yew.org/searchForm.php

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 08:49:12 PM »
Maggi,
realy fascinating trees. Never thought of such giant trees in the UK. :o
I was teached all large trees were cut for shipbuilding  ???
Best wishes
Armin

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 09:14:44 PM »
[quote[ .....all large trees were cut for shipbuilding [/quote]

That would have been the case for most big old trees at one time, Armin, but Yew trees are venerated from olden times and since they are often found in ancient churchyards they would be safe there from cutting.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 09:22:17 PM »
Maggi,
realy fascinating trees. Never thought of such giant trees in the UK. :o
I was teached all large trees were cut for shipbuilding  ???
Armin - I think in the UK  it was mainly oaks that were cut for ship building.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 09:39:59 PM »
Thanks Maggi and Gerry - never stop learning :D
Best wishes
Armin

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 10:35:55 PM »
Maggi, I agree with Gerry that it was mainly Oaks rather than Yews which were used for shipbuilding.  Yews were originally venerated by Pagans, and there is a theory that early churches were placed to incorporate older Pagan worship areas.  

However many of the Yews currently visible in British churchyards are Irish Yews which are very much more recent in origin.  I think these were planted in the 1700s.  Perhaps some of our Irish correspondents could tell us?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:40:14 PM by Richard Green »
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 10:44:06 PM »
Richard,
interesting. Thanks for the background info.
Best wishes
Armin

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 03:44:47 AM »
I found another Allium too which had been planted (Mark: could you float down here and suggest an identity?)

(Aside: the Norwegian word Kirkegård as the Scots here will have no problem with means literally Church Garden (or yard))

Sorry Stephen, my avatar got stuck for several days as it floated around in an out-of-body experience.  It looks like the plants in that particular grave have been planted, so the Allium is likely not native, and since the Allium is not in flower yet, the possiblities of what it could be are large, to say the least, so I can't venture a guess.  But as you can see, now that I am butterfly-like, perhaps I can visit that plant in flower and get a better idea  ;D ;D ;D
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 10:19:18 AM »
[quote[ .....all large trees were cut for shipbuilding

That would have been the case for most big old trees at one time, Armin, but Yew trees are venerated from olden times and since they are often found in ancient churchyards they would be safe there from cutting.
[/quote]

I missed out the "oak" from the big old OAK tree part..... my point was that yews were not used for shipbuilding and that the old yews (so often by those times associated with churchyards) would not have been cut anyway because of their history and position.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 08:03:49 PM »
However many of the Yews currently visible in British churchyards are Irish Yews which are very much more recent in origin.  I think these were planted in the 1700s.  Perhaps some of our Irish correspondents could tell us?

As none of my compatriots has responded I'll try.

Fastigiate yews now widely planted are mainly clones from a female plant found on Cuilcagh mountain, County Fermanagh around 1740.  Originally it was considered a new species, Taxus hibernica, but is now accepted as T. baccata f. fastigiata.  It began to be planted throughout Ireland and Britain in graveyards from around the mid-nineteenth century, i.e. only about 150 years ago.

However yew (Irish iúr) had an important place in the lore of pre-Christian & early Christian Ireland, including religious significance for Celts & maybe the pre-Celtic inhabitants.  In the indigeous Ogham alphabet cryptic kennings for the letter ‘I’ were ‘oldest tree’ and ‘fairest of the ancients’, generally considered to refer to yew.  In the eighth-century 'Laws of Neighbourhood' (Bretha Comaithchesa) yew was one of the 7 ‘nobles of the wood’.  Substantial fines were levied against anyone damaging these most valued species, better protection than we give them today!  Iúr appears in several placenames including Tír an Iúir, Terenure, now a suburb of Dublin, and An tIúr, Newry in County Down.

An excellent reference is ‘Trees of Ireland, native and naturalised’ by E Charles Nelson (Lilliput, Dublin, 1993), with exquisite watercolour illustrations by Wendy Walsh.  Hard to find now at a reasonable price unfortunately.  

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 08:17:23 PM by ashley »
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 08:21:48 PM »
Interesting stuff Ashley, thanks for posting that and it does show why place names are often a key to the past. If the Celts were the indiginous inhabitants of Britain (and opinion on this seems to differ) then the fact that the Yew was an ancient symbol of the immortality of the soul in pagan temples, later picked up by Celtic druids and then adopted by Christians would all seem to fit together nicely.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal