We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: What Aster?  (Read 550 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
What Aster?
« on: August 10, 2023, 06:29:03 PM »
I got this Aster from a person who has grown a lot of plants from Nargs seeds (especially species), and I suspect this also came to her that way. She had lost label and doesn't know what it is.
It is a very nice plant, and early starting to flower in the beginning of July and flowering lasted all July. It doesn't spread by roots very much, so it is nice that way too. It is not very tall, maybe 50cm.
I would be very happy if anyone has any suggestions what it might be?
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: What Aster?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 03:58:21 PM »
It is a very nice, compact Aster Leena, I cannot say what species. There are quite a few of them, some going by the name of Symphyotrichum right now, and not easy to ID.
But they can be narrowed down after - flowering period, flower color, type of leaves (smooth or not), stems and so on.
What is a bit unusual about yours is the July flowering, most of them start in late July/August in Canada, but then there are many species and I don't know them all, plus even more in US.

Take notes and pictures of all the details: leaves, stems, flowers and later fruits.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: What Aster?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 11:46:54 AM »
Thank you Gabriela. :)
The flowering time is very early, all my other asters are much later.
I have Aster amellus, some cultivars and couple of plants grown from seeds, and they start to flower around this time of summer, almost two months later than mystery aster, but my mystery plant resembles mostly Aster amellus. All other A.amellus leaves in all my other plants feel "rough", but mystery plant leaves feel smooth. That, and flowering time seem to be the biggest differences in my mystery and A.amellus. Perhaps there is a earlier flowering variety of A.amellus..
Here are some more pictures of it, taken a week ago. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal