We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus November 2009  (Read 31211 times)

Hristo

Re: Crocus November 2009
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 07:40:38 AM »
Ian,Tony,Paul and Armin thanks for your comments, good to know you guys enjoy seeing wild crocus as much as we do!
We are hoping the BG forms of pallasii will grow well from a spring seed collection and may be easier in cultivation than
the Greek forms perhaps!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 08:37:27 AM »
What a wonderful crocus trip, Chris and Simon - wish I could have been with you  :o

Dominique your bicoloured medius will probably not come back. I had such an effect on Crocus banaticus some
years ago. Just for one autumn and in the next season the plant was not seen again  :-[
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 09:18:58 AM »
Great shots from the wild keep them coming please

Here is a favourite of mine in the garden. A late flowering (Nov) form of niveus. The last being a close up

Very beautiful photos of a very beautiful species Ian.
I see that they do quite well outside in your area.
I grow all my nievus forms in big pots under cold glass. But they've multiplied very well during last years and I don't have enough space to grow them all inside in pots. So I want to try this species outside, but worried about how they will survive our winter conditions. It snows quite well in winter in our area, but during February the temperature sometimes gets -25 for a week or two. What do you think, will it be O.K. for this species provided a good snow cover?
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2009, 09:26:38 AM »
Thanks  :)
The last tranche of C.cancellatus mazziaricus pics, again showing the wide variations of colours and forms seen.

RE: C.niveus we have them growing outside here in the mountains in Bulgaria! They have snow for 3 months in winter and cold also from the frosts we have before and after the snows. So why not give some a try outside, maybe under dwarf shrubs-as ours are grown.  ;)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 09:44:21 AM »

Here is a favourite of mine in the garden. A late flowering (Nov) form of niveus. The last being a close up

I grow all my nievus forms in big pots under cold glass. But they've multiplied very well during last years and I don't have enough space to grow them all inside in pots. So I want to try this species outside, but worried about how they will survive our winter conditions. It snows quite well in winter in our area, but during February the temperature sometimes gets -25 for a week or two. What do you think, will it be O.K. for this species provided a good snow cover?

Zhirair in the UK such temperatures are almost unknown but I think as Simon suggests these are OK in Bulgaria in theory  it should work OK for you. In fact I would think that they might be just as exposed if not more to the cold in pots under cold glass. Worth a try with a few corms I should think
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 10:10:14 AM »

Zhirair, I've tried niveus outside last winter, when the temperatures reached -20°C and less for some weeks and they survived.
They had a snowcover of 15cm. Without snowcover I'm sure the leaves would have died in the cold, but probably the corms
will survive. I would give'em a try if you have enough.
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Gerry Webster

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 10:17:33 AM »

Zhirair in the UK such temperatures are almost unknown but I think as Simon suggests these are OK in Bulgaria in theory  it should work OK for you. In fact I would think that they might be just as exposed if not more to the cold in pots under cold glass. Worth a try with a few corms I should think

C. niveus is a lowland plant & experience with it outside seems very variable & somewhat unpredictable. I'm surprised to hear that it does well in the conditions which prevail in Bulgaria. Here in Brighton it does not thrive outside. Severe cold is very rare here & the problem, I think, is winter wet. In the 3 year crocus trials at Wisley in the early 1990s C. niveus performed poorly, a fact attributed to the poor sandy soil.
I guess one just has to try & see how they do

Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 10:34:19 AM »
Just a day away from the Forum and again another avalanch of gorgeous Crocus pix has hit this thread !

Simon and Chris, great pix from the wild !!! Beautiful Bulgaria !!  8)

Dominique, great series of wonderful Crocus !! I'm particularly impressed with your big clumps outside in the garden !!  :o

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »
I'll second your thoughts Luc, everyday I look at these crocus pages and marvel at the different habitats and forms - I had no idea the season was so strong for them in November.....do you have any in your garden?
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2009, 03:19:06 PM »
Just a few, Robin.  C. boryi, ligusticus(formerly medius), speciosus and that's about it.
The others I'm trying to grow and multiply in pots before I try them outside...  :-\

I consider myself an apprentice Croconut...  ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:46:54 AM by Luc Gilgemyn »
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2009, 03:50:12 PM »

Zhirair in the UK such temperatures are almost unknown but I think as Simon suggests these are OK in Bulgaria in theory  it should work OK for you. In fact I would think that they might be just as exposed if not more to the cold in pots under cold glass. Worth a try with a few corms I should think

C. niveus is a lowland plant & experience with it outside seems very variable & somewhat unpredictable. I'm surprised to hear that it does well in the conditions which prevail in Bulgaria. Here in Brighton it does not thrive outside. Severe cold is very rare here & the problem, I think, is winter wet. In the 3 year crocus trials at Wisley in the early 1990s C. niveus performed poorly, a fact attributed to the poor sandy soil.
I guess one just has to try & see how they do

Gerry Niveus seems to do OK outside for me but it is grown in the highest part of a scree and is very well drained. It is one of the few autumn species along with tournefortii that I grow well in the garden. When I made this small raised area bed I had only grit/gravel and composted bark and was too lazy to go and get some John Innes (stupid I know) but after a shaky start a lot of things seem to do OK in this part of the bed now
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Roma

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2009, 08:16:30 PM »
Fantastic crocus pictures everybody.  I especially like your ochroleucus pictures, Dominique.  It grew well at the Cruickshank Garden when I was working there.  I have some in a pot but Idon't think it will flower this year.
Flowering in my greenhouse just now Crocus caspius.  It has multiplied up from a single corm given to the Cruickshank Garden in 1982.  It was originally collected in Iran by the late Primrose Warburg.  It increases well and also sets seed.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2009, 08:29:55 PM »
Stuuning crocus, Roma... and really cool striped bug!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2009, 06:11:12 AM »
Thanks for your comments related to crocus niveus.
Another further question.
Crocus niveus under cold glass vegetate all the winter and spring and forms very huge tulip-sized corms (if planted in big pots). In garden, as far as I understand, it can overwinter under snow cover withour leaf damage and continue to vegetate in spring keeping on forming and growing its replacement corms. Am I right?
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2009, 08:43:54 AM »
Fantastic crocus pictures everybody

Yours included, Roma, a great photo too!
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal