We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus November 2009  (Read 31059 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Crocus November 2009
« Reply #270 on: November 28, 2009, 12:39:28 PM »
November was far warmer than it usually must to be. Today I read in last Ian's bulb log about Crocus michelsonii showing leaves and in pause between two showers I went to my greenhouse to check my Central Asian crocuses. And found the same with me, too. Crocus michelsonii has well advanced leaves, not so long as in report about C. kotschyanus HKEP-9205 few days ago, but quite well developed. Long leaves has new subspecies of C. speciosus from Iran, even C. korolkowii started to show leaves, but alatavicus still is underground. My earliest record of C. michelsonii blooming is from 15th of November several years ago. Carefully checking you can see orange-yellow color of coming flower behind semitransparent bract and bracteole.
Janis
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:53:06 PM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #271 on: November 28, 2009, 01:17:02 PM »
Crocus michelsonii is showing here too. In the previous 2 winters it had snow cover, so we only saw leaves after the snow melt.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #272 on: November 28, 2009, 02:55:44 PM »
In April 1993 I collected some Crocus seed from Mt Didima in the Peloponnese unaware of the species involved. It was subsequently distributed through Jim and Jenny Archibalds seed list and when grown was found to be a form of Crocus sieberi that starts flowering in the third week of November. The photo  which I took this morning shows flowers from a more recent collection but with the same early flowering habit.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #273 on: November 28, 2009, 04:20:42 PM »
Very interesting Melvyn.  How does the location of this autumn flowering sieberi relate to the distribution of Crocus robertianus?  There is a suggestion that Crocus robertianus may have evolved from Crocus sieberi.  Not having been there I do not have the 'local knowledge'
If you ever get seed I would be glad to add this form to the National Collection here.

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #274 on: November 28, 2009, 04:30:05 PM »
Photos from today's  visit to the Southern part of the Golan Heights where Cancellatus ssp canellatus is in bloom at the moment.
Generally they flower without the leaves but this year we had some early rains that are the reason for it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 04:40:14 PM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #275 on: November 28, 2009, 05:32:20 PM »
Very interesting Melvyn.  How does the location of this autumn flowering sieberi relate to the distribution of Crocus robertianus?  There is a suggestion that Crocus robertianus may have evolved from Crocus sieberi.  Not having been there I do not have the 'local knowledge'
If you ever get seed I would be glad to add this form to the National Collection here.

Just my opinion, too. I suppose this is robertianus - very similar to atticus, seperable only by flowering time.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #276 on: November 28, 2009, 05:38:07 PM »
Photos from today's  visit to the Southern part of the Golan Heights where Cancellatus ssp canellatus is in bloom at the moment.
Generally they flower without the leaves but this year we had some early rains that are the reason for it.

Some of my C. cancellatus ssp canellatus samples made quite long leaves this autumn, too. I think that it is caused by unusually long and warm autumn, because earlier I only noted leaf tips on some samples. But fest of warm will end next weekend when day temperatures are proposed to fall till minus 5 C.
Janis

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #277 on: November 28, 2009, 07:35:06 PM »
Hello Tony,
I am not aware of the extent of the population of this plant on Mt Didima, it might be restricted to the mountain itself which is south of Epidaurus on the Argolid peninsular. Similarly I am not aware of all the areas where C. robertianus grows but thought it was restricted to the north of the Gulf of Corinth, quite a distance away. I am certainly not an expert on Crocus and am very happy to be guided by others on nomenclature.
Re your request for seeds, of course, very happy to send you some and if they do well will send you some corms at repotting time.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #278 on: November 29, 2009, 08:32:07 AM »

I am not aware of the extent of the population of this plant on Mt Didima, it might be restricted to the mountain itself which is south of Epidaurus on the Argolid peninsular. Similarly I am not aware of all the areas where C. robertianus grows but thought it was restricted to the north of the Gulf of Corinth, quite a distance away. I am certainly not an expert on Crocus and am very happy to be guided by others on nomenclature.

You are right, Melvyn. C. robertianus is plant from N part of Greece and as I know was not recorded in Peloponnese. But, if Brian Mathew is right that C. robertianus developed from C. atticus by mutation, why not to concede that similar mutation happened in more southern part (Peloponnese), too? Is this one robertianus or too different isn't possible decide without growing both side by side and may be even without researches on molecular level.
Janis

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #279 on: November 29, 2009, 07:23:15 PM »
Today I have two chrysanthus 'Sunspot' flowers.

The number of winter/spring flowerers with noses and leaves showing is huge - 33. This isnt pots but species and cultivars. Many I have more than one pot of.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #280 on: November 29, 2009, 08:07:18 PM »
Today I have two chrysanthus 'Sunspot' flowers.

Incredible! Nature becomes crazy! Never had chrysanthus before new year.
Janis

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal