We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus November 2009  (Read 31152 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: Crocus November 2009
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2009, 10:15:47 AM »
If 'Purple Heart' is a hybrid between C. niveus & C. cartwrightianus (or another saffron crocus) this would be remarkable given that the recent phylogenetic analysis suggests they are quite distantly related.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2009, 10:58:59 AM »
A late one here,

Crocus laevigatus fontenayi.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2009, 01:11:40 PM »
Janis,
thank you for your detailed reply and judgement. I just remembered to have seen a "Purple Heart" on PC's webside and was surprised about the discription. For me it looks more C. cartwrightianus, too.

Gerry,
I personal support your comment.

Michael,
very beautiful potful of C. leavigatus 8)
Best wishes
Armin

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2009, 01:36:45 PM »
Some Crocusses in flower outside:

1) Crocus banaticus
2) Crocus longiflorus
3) Crocus niveus
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2009, 01:42:16 PM »
If 'Purple Heart' is a hybrid between C. niveus & C. cartwrightianus (or another saffron crocus) this would be remarkable given that the recent phylogenetic analysis suggests they are quite distantly related.
How about C.cartwrightianus x C.hadriaticus?
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2009, 04:38:17 PM »
How about C.cartwrightianus x C.hadriaticus?

Not a bad idea. Both are quite close and cartwrightianus has forms with purple throat, hadriaticus quite rounded flowers.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2009, 05:50:57 PM »
Given the variation in Crocus cartwrightianus I would put 'Purple Heart' as a variation of the pure species.  Here is a white with some purple and a purple with a purple throat.  The former breeds a good proportion of identical progeny.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2009, 06:13:29 PM »
The blue veined white cartwrightianus could be my favourite autumn Crocus
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gerry Webster

« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2009, 09:14:42 PM »
Given the variation in Crocus cartwrightianus I would put 'Purple Heart' as a variation of the pure species.  Here is a white with some purple and a purple with a purple throat.  The former breeds a good proportion of identical progeny.
Tony - this was my first thought & it seems to be confirmed by Janis' description of the bract & bracteole. However, he also states that the flower closes at night. While this may not be decisive (some of my C. cartwrightianus close at night while the flower is still 'young') I think it should be taken into consideration. I wonder how 'Purple Heart' behaves as the flower ages? There is also the flower shape -  how does this change with age? Finally, Christian lists this plant as C. niveus or a possible hybrid of this. While I am not always convinced by his identifications, I presume he has some reason for naming it thus. 
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2009, 11:14:28 PM »
While I am not always convinced by his identifications, I presume he has some reason for naming it thus.  
I am sure that things that sound unusual sell better ... and perhaps for a higher price?

....why is there not an emoticon for cynical  ???  

;)

edit by maggi: try this ,Tony.....
178096-0

or this....
178097-1
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:24:04 PM by Maggi Young »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2009, 11:25:32 PM »
While I am not always convinced by his identifications, I presume he has some reason for naming it thus.  
I am sure that things that sound unusual sell better ... and perhaps for a higher price?

....why is there not an emoticon for cynical  ???  

;)

edit by maggi: try this ,Tony.....
(Attachment Link)

or this....
(Attachment Link)

Tut tut. When you can have it for a mere £12.50.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2009, 07:28:05 AM »
Returning to Crocus laevigatus I want to show you picture made this spring (11th of March) in KEW BG. It was collected in Greece, Cyclades, Isle of Naxos, at 25m altitude, by Brian Mathew. Really that is the darkest one seen by me and one of the latest, too because at my visit in Kew allmost all crocuses were over, bloomed only very few but this one "autumnal"  ;D was at full bloom. It was the first spring blooming laevigatus seen by me, although I know that laevigatus blooms through all winter up to spring, but so late was surprise for me.
Janis

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2009, 08:32:47 AM »
Fascinating Janis - I was not aware of the spring flowering forms being in cultivation.  I have a couple of forms that sometimes keep flowers until January but only when exposed to cold garden conditions.  In pots the flowers are over sooner.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2009, 08:54:50 AM »
Fascinating Janis - I was not aware of the spring flowering forms being in cultivation.  I have a couple of forms that sometimes keep flowers until January but only when exposed to cold garden conditions.  In pots the flowers are over sooner.

I don't know how Kew keeps those Crocuses in winter, but I think they stay "out" only under glass roof protecting against excessive moisture.
Janis

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2009, 09:41:14 AM »
Maybe there are other late forms of C.laevigatus out there on other islands, but they just haven't been 'found' yet.
Tont your blue-centred white C.cartwightianus is beautiful, but is it a garden selection or a wild one. It would be interesting to know where in the species' range it came from if it is from the wild.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal