We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: House Orchids 2020  (Read 4670 times)

GordonT

Re: House Orchids 2020
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2020, 05:09:18 PM »
David, the first one looks like a small division of Dendrobium kingianum (or one of its hybrids). It looks like it may have a keikei (baby plant), starting from the top of one of the canes. The second one is a hybrid Phalaenopsis, easy growers in an average warm household, with bright indirect light (much like African violet conditions as far as light is concerned)
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2020, 06:20:26 PM »
Many thanks for that Gordon, very helpful.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 11:57:28 AM »
Promenea xanthina, from Brazil, grows on the side of trees in the cool mountains north of Rio de Janeiro. I've had this for many years, it lives in my cool pleione house where I keep the autumn flowering pleiones. The rootbal is so congested I just drop it on every three years or so. Doesn't seem to mind. It's been flowering since the beginning of June, but this is its final hurrah for this season.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:59:07 AM by Maren »
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Pauli

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 09:58:53 AM »
Habenaria carnea in my living room. Never below 18°C, but with a good dry rest in winter after flowering.
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

Bart

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2020, 05:14:16 PM »
Only just seen your post Pauli, what a beautiful plant! Have to look out for one. How old is it- as in does it flower every year for you, or is it new?

Pauli

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2020, 04:51:18 AM »
It is easily grown - provided it gets its rest in winter. I have grown it for several years and the group was grown from one plant by bulb division. I plant it in a mixture of about one third normal substrat as for other tropical orchids and two thirds mineral "pebbles" (lava rock, seramis, lime gravel...). I repot every year so that it does not get too congested.
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal