We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Seed Information Database  (Read 14269 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
New Seed Information Database
« on: November 04, 2015, 06:42:11 PM »
Seed Information Database

The SRGC now has a member-contributed seed/plant information database.

If you have made a donation to the SRGC Seed Exchange, please take a moment to share information about the species you've donated. And whether or not you've donated seed, share information about any worthy garden plant you grow or have grown, no matter how it was propagated.

Sharing information is very easy: just fill out the form below! Please submit the form once for each species that you have a little personal experience with. If you make a mistake, you'll have a chance to edit your response after submitting the form (look for the 'edit your response' link on the thank-you page displayed after each form submission). Only the first form field (plant species) is mandatory; please provide as much information as you can, but only what you know from experience.

Form: http://goo.gl/forms/ql1WExjRZX

To view all the information contributed so far, you have two options:

Table: https://goo.gl/QK0bGJ
View information in a simple table with one species per row.

Spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/IOzjSn
Similar to the above, but you'll have read-only access (ie, you won't be able to edit any of the information) to the spreadsheet where all the data are kept. You will have the option to sort the information using one or more columns and to create filters (for instance, to display only species that are highly resistant to periods of drought). You will also be able to download all the data as a Microsoft Excel or CSV file, among other formats, to use as you like.

Don't be shy – start sharing information now!

The SRGC is grateful to Erik Fleischer in Canada for developing this system
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:23:12 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Erik F.

Re: New Seed Information Database
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 07:26:20 PM »
The links seem to have got duplicated during our email exchange – not Maggi's fault at all.

The correct links are:

Form: http://goo.gl/forms/ql1WExjRZX

Table: https://goo.gl/QK0bGJ

Spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/IOzjSn
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:54:01 PM by Erik F. »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 07:29:57 PM »
Thanks Erik - I've corrected them now - there had been another hitch with one but all seem fine now.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:04:05 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 06:23:50 PM »
 Feel free to enter  information you may have from your previous seed records!

John Kitt

• The Spent Gardener
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 05:08:18 AM »
Hi Maggie,
I think this is terrific addition to the SRGC service.  It will be invaluable to those of us who are not highly experienced in growing some seeds.  Who ever had the idea needs big CONGRATULATIONS!!  My initial reaction  to the information so far entered is that I wondered if location (even hemisphere) of the member entering the information would be useful.  Too early to make a judgement but I will most certainly be a user.
Cheers
John

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 11:26:13 AM »
Hello John,  great to have this enthusiasm from you about the project.  All the credit for it goes to Erik Fleischer who developed the whole system and came to SRGC with the proposal. 
We think it's terrific!  Of course, like most things - it depends on the contributions of the members to be a success. :)

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 08:46:46 PM »
Good idea!  Thanks for setting this up, Erik, and thanks for implementing it, Maggi.
I think it's excellent that the instructions specify to relate your own experience, and that's what I will do. 

To my mind, this is a good reminder that, without having done controlled germination experiments (such as those done by Dr. Norm Deno) or without a great deal of experience at germinating seeds of a certain plant, it is not possible to say that what one has done represents the most successful or most efficient way to germinate that species.  (For example, I may be cold-stratifying species that don't actually need it.)  However, it is still useful to relate what was, at least, successful, to whatever extent!  On that note, the % germination success will probably prove to be useful towards judging "the best" method for breaking seed dormancy.   (Unfortunately, % germination is something I've usually been too lazy to note but maybe I can improve my record-keeping going forward.  ::)

A question... I see that it is possible to edit an entry immediately after having submitted it.  How does one edit an entry later on?   Seems I always have second thoughts about something and the urge to revisit it...  ???

It would be very helpful if people could also give a general indication of where they are successfully growing each species (e.g. country and region, horticultural zone?), so as to provide some indication of cold hardiness.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 08:52:08 PM by Lori S. »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Erik F.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 04:53:42 AM »
Hi all,

I'll add a field for location & climate with some suggestions/examples. I hesitate to add multiple fields – one for location, another for average winter lows, another for average precipitation in winter, etc – because that just complicates things even more, I think. But I can certainly add more fields if needed.

Lori, I only made the first field – for the species – mandatory on purpose: I figure that any information is better than no information. I think it's perfectly fine to leave a few fields blank, such as % germ. in your case.

Unfortunately, the way things are currently set up, you only get that one chance to edit the entry you've just submitted. It is possible to enable anyone to edit their entries at any time, but if I configured things that way, every contributor would need to sign in with their Google account, and I'm rather afraid that would put off several potential contributors.

I can edit anything at any time, and I can also give other people administrative powers. Can I make you an admin, Maggi? If so, please create a Google account if you don't already have one, and send me an email. I also know Lori and would be happy to make her an admin, but I'll let Maggi decide who should have what powers.

Cheers,

Erik

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:44:18 PM by Erik F. »

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 05:58:58 AM »
I'll add a field for location & climate with some suggestions/examples. I hesitate to add multiple fields – one for location, another for average winter lows, another for average precipitation in winter, etc – because that just complicates things even more, I think.
I agree - no need to get overly complicated on that.  Just a single field for "location" may suffice - people could fill it in as tersely or with as much detail as they wish.  The resources are readily available for anyone to look up detailed climatic conditions for any area.

Re. editing - not to worry.  I didn't understand how this Google form worked - I don't need to make any actual corrections, just fiddling.   ;)
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 09:27:52 PM »
What a wonderful idea this is and great that you Erik/Maggi have put it into practice. Now it's up to all of us to use the forms and make the information available to the database. I'll certainly be doing that very soon as I already have a bunch of packeted seed ready for the NEXT seed list. Thanks for yet another super service available to members and an innovation I'm not aware of on any other similar website.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Carolyn

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 11:31:57 PM »
Thanks for reminding everyone about this, I think it will be very useful. I have made a start with one entry tonight. Anyone else?
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Carolyn

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 08:26:47 AM »
Maggi,
Does the seed information table update automatically? My entry has not appeared, although I definitely submitted it - at the end of the process there was a "thanks" message.
Carolyn McHale

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 11:38:52 AM »
Carolyn, to be honest I'm not sure -  I have not had any time to become properly acquainted with the system. I need Erik to advise - but I'm seeing an entry now  which I assume is from you.

I think there is a time gap before the entry becomes "set" - in order to allow  for you to make any edit  immediately after submitting the info.

While I feel this this a truly great innovation and one which can become a  tremendous resource, it is not one I personally have time to become involved with.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:44:58 AM by Maggi Young »

Carolyn

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 01:09:44 PM »
Carolyn, to be honest I'm not sure -  I have not had any time to become properly acquainted with the system. I need Erik to advise - but I'm seeing an entry now  which I assume is from you.

I've checked and my entry is still not there. It was for cyclamen hederifolium. I'll email Erik.
Carolyn McHale

Carolyn

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 07:39:53 PM »
My entry is now visible in the spreadsheet. It would be nice to see a few more people contributing their germination experiences as seedlings come through.... it only takes a couple of minutes to do.
Carolyn McHale

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal