We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Romulea imposter  (Read 121 times)

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
Romulea imposter
« on: April 05, 2024, 09:53:59 PM »
Hi,

I would like to warn everybody about Romulea's seeds beeing distributed wih various name but beeing all the same :  Romulea bulbocodium "Knightshayes form". I received it with the SRGC seed exchange as Romulea bulbocodium but also linaresi and melitensis and it has been distributed as ramiflora !
This form can be easily identified by its vivid purple tepal, orange throat, usually a whitish-greenish stripe outside the outter tepal, orange pollen an stigma just at the top of the anther. It's an very easy species, producing seeds and flowering in 1,5 year
Please, identify your Romulea and don't donate false species.

This species was initially distributed with the right name. But it was identified as ramiflora because of its short style. In fact, Romulea bulbocodium, in Portugal, can have short style and I found some picture on Inaturalist which match perfectly with this form, like this one : https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/199882342  Romulea ramiflora is a very different species, but when you don't know it, you can make mistake and I've also done it  :-[
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal