We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: tobacco rattle virus  (Read 2080 times)

James Cheshire

tobacco rattle virus
« on: August 23, 2009, 02:32:33 AM »
Is anyone familiar with this virus? I've had two plants, a Dicentra and an Epimedium, turn up infected with it. Supposedly it can infect almost any flowering plant, and is spread by soil nematodes.

Ever since I discovered the infected plants back in May, I've been freaking out almost every time I find a plant that looks like it might be virused. I'm also frustrated, because I haven't been able to find any information on managing this disease in a small garden. It's all potato spraing, genetics, etc. I can't afford to have all the plants around here tested.

There is one good thing about all this: my interest in container growing has increased greatly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
James
James M. Cheshire - Granville, Ohio, USA - zone 6a.

Giles

• Prince of Primula
Re: tobacco rattle virus
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 11:21:28 AM »
James,
If you're sure of the identity of the virus, I think you have a problem on your hands.
Tobraviruses can over winter in perennial plants. They can also persist in the nematodes for several months, even in the absence of plants.
The virus can also be transmitted in seed from infected plants.
It would seem that clearance followed by a fallow (and weed free) period would be required.
Ever thought of collecting garden gnomes?  ;D

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 12:04:57 AM »
from a web page:

Tobravirus or the Tobacco rattle virus group of plant viruses is on taxonomic level of genus (not yet assigned to a family). The viruses are transmitted by a vector (transmitted by mechanical inoculation, grafting, seed, nematode, or trichordoriade) but not transmitted by contact between plants. The virus spreads in the Eurasian region and the North, Central and South American regions.

Nasty problem - what are the symptoms the plants show?

Practical solutions?  No idea for elimination but you could perhaps used raised beds with imported soil over a membrane to prevent transmission by nematodes from below.

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 06:35:29 AM »
Are those soil nemathodes visable, or they can bee seen only under microscope?
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 05:03:49 PM »
Are those soil nemathodes visable, or they can bee seen only under microscope?

A few nematode species (e.g "hairworms") are visible to the naked eye, but most require a microscope.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal