We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seed Collection  (Read 3464 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Seed Collection
« on: December 07, 2006, 01:32:21 AM »
We have 3 small shrubs of Daphne alpina in berry which are now (late spring in the Southern hemisphere) starting to ripen and turn orange. Last year was the first time one bush flowered and it did set seed but I never saw the berries ripen; perhaps taken by birds?
When should these be collected? Should I pick them as they start to colour or wait till they are completely red (or do they stay orange?) and risk the birds getting to them first?
Any advice would be welcome!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
Re: Seed Collection
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 09:30:49 AM »
Hi fermi,
Get them before the birds, they love daphne berries. Once you can squish the flesh off the berries they should be ripe enough, they don't turn as bright red as in Daphne retusa. I suggest you clean and wash them before sowing, mice love them as well.
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Seed Collection
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 10:21:58 PM »
Thanks, Susan,
I'll attempt some collecting on the weekend...if there are any left! One bush is growing amongst Alstroemeria angustifolia and it makes a pretty picture.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal