Administration > General

Viewing and Posting pictures on the Forum

<< < (2/8) > >>

Maggi Young:
I post again here, a note from many moons ago, in the  "Trouble posting to the forum? Help is at hand! "
on: February 04, 2007 ...it seems that this is a point which bears repetition  :P

A hint about posting photos: please include the name of the plant in the text of your post. Plant names will show in file names displayed beneath some picture posts, depending on how they are loaded, but such names are not picked up be the search facility.  As John Finch replied to a post:
"Hi,
lovely pictures - thank you.
I wonder if you may have time to edit your post to include the names of the flowers that you have shown as text.  When someone uses the search facility within the forum they do not find words that are only included as part of the image names.  The search only looks at the actual typed text within a post.

Just thinking of the future and making the SRGC forum as useful and searchable for others as possible.
cheers, John.

Well said, John. A useful point. Please take note , everyone! M

Maggi Young:
I will take the chance here, to say again than photos for the Forum are best sized no more than 760 x 555pixels   and less than 200 Kb  to allow for ease of viewing on the average monitor, without scrolling left to right.  This 760 x 555 pixels size is great for landsacape format photos:  for portrait format, it would be best to stick to the smaller option of 560 x 418 or so for those.
The need to scroll irritates readers greatly, we have found!!

I would recommend that anyone new to the Forum read, and, PLEASE, pay attention to the advice given in this thread:
 "New to posting to the forum? Help is at hand!" http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2.0

Thanks! M

If you have any questions about these matters please email  info@srgc.org.uk

Maggi Young:
It seems that there are still visitors to the Forum pages who are not aware that, in the case of the smaller photos appearing on these pages, that it is possible to left-mouse- click on each photo to bring up a larger version of the shot for your interest and pleasure!

Think the photos look a bit small?
 Click the pic and see the difference!! 

Maggi Young:
Please note this advice: We always suggest a maximum of 750 x 555 pixels for regular forum photo postings.... long experience has told us that this is a size which can be readily viewed on the majority of monitors  without scrolling from left to right

Larger photos especially when posted in multiples, are very tricky to see properly , because the east-west scroll bar is displayed at the foot of the post and the need to go  up and  down as well as back and forth , in an attempt to catch the main focus of a shot proves very irritating to many viewers!

Pix 800  wide do not need too much scrolling to see the whole image, so many may be content to simply view what is initially shown on enlarging the picture...... but larger photos can effectively be impossible to "read" properly.  At least with the 750 by  555 maximum for landscape format, the reader has the pleasure of being able to see the entire image at once.
Or 750 pixels as a maximun length, of course.
Again, I emphasise that we are aware from the majority of our feedback that readers prefer the "official" size photos!

Maggi Young:
As we get into our stride with a new year, may I  remind forumists that in spite of the fact that some folks have  large computer monitors, it is still Forum practice to have pictures posted at a maximum of 760 pixels wide (unless for particular magnification of ID features on occasion)
This is a more comfortable viewing size for those with smaller screens and also, I am advised, for anyone with a visual disability.
Thank you!

M

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version