Specific Families and Genera > Iris

Forced Germination - preparing onco seed

<< < (9/9)

Mini bulb lover:
I have some more Onco seed (Iris kirkwoodiae) to try so I thought I'd share some photos of them being cut today. The top seed in the 3rd photo moved as I sliced so it cut more than I wanted. I'll see how I go.

Jupiter:
Jon, how are your kirkwoodiae seeds looking? Any sign of movement? I'm going to do some soon as well.

Véronique Macrelle:
the 2020 srgc exchange being canceled (hopefully it will resume next year!) I find myself without iris seeds to sow this year.
  your discussion made me want to give it a try. and so my idea was to sort out my pots of iris seedlings from a previous year that did not germinate:
 I thus found 4 beautiful seeds of Iris paradoxa. (I occupy my confined winter Sundays as best I can!)

I have some questions:

- is it essential to sterilize the seeds and the substrate?
- can we sow directly in a gravel pot? without going through the 'perlite in plastic bag' phase? I have always missed this type of sowing with Trillium or Paeonia: too wet or I handle them too much, eager to see changes ... too curious

Véronique Macrelle:
in fact if it should germinate it does not take long: it's too funny!
 I steam sterilized everything.
 I also cut some on the wrong side because on these old seeds the arill was no longer visible.
 I have one that started in 2 days!
 the others I cut back, and 2 are already starting .. but the end of the root is truncated, so I doubt the result.
 the last one (I had 4) seems to be cut off on the wrong side, it doesn't move

and once we have a germination, what do we do with it?
 hot, cold, fertilizer, artificial light?
 i fat germinated it directly in aquarium gravel, but it can't feed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version