We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS Summer show (North) in Leeds  (Read 8699 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: AGS Summer show (North) in Leeds
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 08:51:52 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Peter and Mick - great work - stunning plants.
I'm always amazed with the number of totally unknown plants to me,  that make their appearance on the summer shows.
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 09:07:03 AM »
That's a very kind offer Lesley, thank you.
I have some Gl flanaganni seedlings from this years seed exchange are there any special requirements for overwintering etc.
Regards,
Mick
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 10:37:41 AM »
What a lovely trip to Leeds! Peter, I must say, your Roscoea humeana alba is a stunner... It is my favourite Roscoea... the shape of the flowers and that pristine white is just so beautiful. It seems to be doing well for you in a pot... any tips for pot culture?

Like Mick, I think I feel the need for Glad tidings! For years I've been thinking, must try some of those, never done it... but the last year on this forum I have seen so many Gladious looking gorgeous that I really will be paying attention to next year's seed lists!
Oh, and congratulations for your girl's Father's Day gift, Mick... obviously well trained... and what a nice gift... beats the blazes oiut of a another pair of socks, eh?

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 10:52:59 PM »
Hi Maggi,

Sorry not to have replied to your request for information earlier - a 'dodgy' back has prevented me sitting down in front of the computer for too long; must have been those heavy pots at the weekend.

I can't say that I've done anything special with the Roscoea; firstly it came from Ian III (Christie), but he probably has a waiting list by now as many people in Leeds asked me where I had managed to get it from. As far as pot culture goes I repotted it after obtaining it in a dormant state into a plastic pot (it's double potted in clay for the show bench. Compost is simple, it has to be for me  ;); I generally use two basic mixes and this was my 'humus mix': equal parts of John Innes No2, composted bark, chipped bark, grit and chopped moss, with a little perlite added (for luck rather than for any scientific reason). It is then stood outside overwinter on a shaded sand bed where I keep my Arisaemas, Cypripediums, etc and subjected to concentrated neglect until the flower spike emerges, when it is worshipped.

Not difficult at all then, the hardest part is obtaining some material in the first place. I think I first saw the plant about ten to fifteeen years ago 'behind the scenes' at Edinburgh Botanics, when it had may even have flowered for the first time in this country, and it has been top of my wants list ever since. Here's another view for you....

Peter
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 11:26:01 PM by pmaguire »
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 11:13:55 PM »
I thought I'd post a few final pictures from Leeds, all close-ups, and verging on the abstract.

Ornithogalum ponticum 'Sochi' (Jon Evans)
Larix kaempferi 'Blue Dwarf' (John & Jean Morris)
Adaintum aleuticum ssp. subpumilum (Harvey Shepherd)

Peter

Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal