Specific Families and Genera > Meconopsis

Meconopsis now

(1/6) > >>

TC:
I was going to post some pictures of Meconopsis on the site when I got a message in red suggesting I should open a new thread, so, here goes.
 From baby-sitting duties in Edinburgh,we popped in to Dawyck on our way back.  They have two large beds of Meconopsis but the main flowering date is probably 10 days away.  However, we did manage to find two or three flowers that had just opened.  I think the raindrops add something to the pictures.

Ian Minty:
Thanks for the pics TC.
Meconopsis are one of my favourite flowers.
Mine were budding up nicely last week and some were about a week away from opening when I had to go offshore for 3-4 weeks.
So I'm hoping for cooler weather at home so that there are some blooms left by the time that I get home.
Keep them coming.

David Nicholson:
I sowed some Meconopsis 'Lingholme' seed that Stuart Pawley kindly sent me and noticed, whilst looking in my seed frame today, that I have had good germination. The challenge will be, in my dry Devon garden, to get them to planting out size and hopefully eventually to flower.

TC:
My problem with meconopsis is twofold.  I can usually get good germination but it is the nursing of the small plants through the winter that is a big worry.  Only about 1% make it.  When they do flower, the wind usually shreds them.
I came back from a trip today and had a look at one of my two surviving plants.  This is hidden in the shelter of a fence and underneath a Loderi rhododendron. The top flower has gone and I have to perform a limbo dance to see the others !
The other plant - probably betonicifolia - has had a few leaves snapped off by the wind, but the flower stalk, with buds, is still intact. Meanwhile, my seedlings are like mustard and cress.  There's always next year.

David Nicholson:
The gardener's prayer Tom, 'there's always next year'

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version