We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Corydalis 2010  (Read 35025 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Re: Corydalis 2010
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
Göte,

thanks for the info.  I did buy it as a named selection, but the label has disappeared.  It was a German selection, as I recall.  No seedlings as of yet.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 10:39:23 AM »
Has anyone else thought that the Corydalis are looking a bit stronger coloured after the cold winter? My bed of Beth Evans is looking a lot brighter and darker. Also C. henrikii is looking darker than I remember it  :-\
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 10:42:02 AM »
Maybe the light levels are higher later on in the year and this is what is making the difference ?
I will try and get comparison pictures this afternoon
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
Has anyone else thought that the Corydalis are looking a bit stronger coloured after the cold winter? My bed of Beth Evans is looking a lot brighter and darker. Also C. henrikii is looking darker than I remember it  :-\
Susan

Yes same here Susan.  It's interesting to see the effects of a longer, colder winter than usual on other 'bulbs' too.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 09:23:55 PM »
Corydalis malkensis starting to flower for me, and starting to self-seed nicely too!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 10:57:41 PM »
I'm very fond of Corydalis malkensis.... it does spread about the place but it only grows  for such a short period in the year that it can happily co-exist with umpteen other plants in the same place without doing any harm. I think a spread of it looks so soft and inviting, all foamy white flowers and soft green foliage.... like a nice bed to lie on!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 12:51:03 AM »
I'm spitting tacks at present as my parcel from Marcus Harvey arrived this morning (includes Colchicum luteum and C. chrys. 'Sunspot') but MAF have removed 3 bulbs of Corydalis solida 'Nymphenburg' which I did order but can't have checked the Bio Index because I now find they need a permit to import and subsequent quarantine for 12 months Level 2 quarantine). I must have assumed that as seed was OK, the bulbs would be permitted under Level I quarantine which is basically none at all except inspection on arrival etc. as for the crocuses, narcissus et al. So I can apply for a permit ($105) plus quarantine costs or I can have them returned for which they want $42.95 (only cost $10 to send the whole parcel from Australia) or I can have them destroyed. Hence the tacks. Still thinking about it, but steam coming from ears. >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:11:32 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 03:21:45 PM »
Lesley does not sound much different to here,persecute those who try to do things correctly.

Here are two Corydalis solida.

the first is a mixed pot from seedlings dug out of the plunge and the second is from Greece. I do wonder why so many of these things are named when sowing random seeds produces lots of 'named forms' and then they just multiply
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 06:29:02 PM »

Here are two Corydalis solida.

the first is a mixed pot from seedlings dug out of the plunge and the second is from Greece. I do wonder why so many of these things are named when sowing random seeds produces lots of 'named forms' and then they just multiply

Tony, I agree with the C. solida seedlings, I get all sorts of colors, the "Baker" reds and such.  Your white Grecian form of solida is special, such clarity of color and strong form.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 06:42:28 PM »
Your white Grecian form of solida is special, such clarity of color and strong form.
Yes, it is lovely...and if it were to be distributed, but not given a name, how would anyone know what/which it is?
And when two or more folk who come into possesion of this unamed plant each decide to name it, or put it up to Joint Rock ( who will ask that it be given a name if an award is made) ... what then? Galloping confusion, that's what! Which is why so many plants are given names by their raiser/finder!  ;)

As an example, Ian's hybrid Corydalis x Craigton Blue has only ever leeft this garden as Craigton Blue.... it is now available in umpteen nurseries across Europe, everyone knows what the plant is and where it came from; hasn't earned Ian a penny from that commercial success, but the identity of the plant is known and , we hope, assured!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 06:45:05 PM by Maggi Young »

Jane

• Cornovium Snowdrops
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 06:49:12 PM »
I'm very excited to show this picture of my Corydalis popovii. I wasn't sure if it was going to make it through the winter in the garden, as I only bought it last Autumn. This is my leap from Corydalis solidas! Jane
Cornovium Snowdrops near Chester, Cheshire.  I love plants, especially Snowdrops, Trillium, Erythroniums and Primula.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 06:58:33 PM »
Nice leap Jane.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 07:22:59 PM »
Maggi I was feeling particularly irritable this afternoon(and perhaps still am) but that does not change the situation as to lots of plants. The one you mention is able to be propagated in reasonable numbers and remain true. Lots of the bulbs are just raised from seed. As to the joint rock I have never seen any purpose in its existence.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Hristo

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »
Bravo Jane for trying it outside, did it have a cloche or has it survived all on its own?

True Maggi, but I'm sure a whimsical name can help sales! ;)
Now my selection of flowerers, some of which look similiar to each other, some of which have returned from the dead, some are now 12 years old and from Christies, none of which cost more than 6 euros.....

Corydalis caucasica
Corydalis chionophila
Corydalis intermedia
Corydalis paczoskii
Corydalis schanginii ssp. schanginii
corydais solida ssp. slivensis
Corydalis solida ssp. solida
Corydalis solida ssp. solida
Corydalis tauricola
Corydalis popovii

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:37:23 PM by Maggi Young »
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2010, 07:33:33 PM »
As to the joint rock I have never seen any purpose in its existence.

I could not possibly comment....... :-X

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal