Bulbs > Crocus

autumn flowering crocus in Australia

(1/1)

Otto Fauser:
5 photos of some autumn flowering crocus from the southern hemisphere.  
    One of the easiest but still beautiful is Crocus speciosus photos of blue and white forms.
    A darker coloured form of Crocus longiflorus from malta known as longiflorues var melitenis (but not a valid taxon).
   cr hyemalis
  the last is Crocus caspius P.F. 5035 - one of the easiest in my garden

Paul's crocus in Canberra is 99% certain to be C. longiflorus but I have to see the corm tunic to be 100% certain.  Paul if you care to put your nose into the flower next autumn you will notice that it is sweetly scented.

C. niveus B.M. 8066A always has a few individuals in a clump that have 8 petals but this week one C. hyemalis (it is 2 months too early to flower) has 10 petals.

The Crocus caspius was originally sent to me by my late friend admiral Paul Furse in 1965 - a year after he and Polly collected it on the shores of the caspian sea.  It now self seeds freely in my garden.

Thank you Thomas (Hubi) for welcoming me to the forum - i'm still typing with one finger!  I will  be in Prague on the 3rd May for the Czech Rockgarden conference.  Are there any other members of the forum attending this conference?

cheers
Otto

Otto Fauser:
the remaining image that did not fit on the last post

mark smyth:
hello Otto, I'll be there with about 15 from across Ireland

Lesley Cox:
Well done Otto!!! Were these the ones you and Mike phoned me about?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version