We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scent in your garden  (Read 3710 times)

maggiepie

Re: Scent in your garden
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 09:31:08 PM »
Rodger, I love the scent of Cyclamen hederifolium but have found the small white flowered one has the strongest scent.
To me, the scent of clematis betty corning is very similar as well as several of my integrifolia seedlings.

Lesley, lemon verbena is another of my favourites, also the lemon scented geranium, I like to keep one of those inside the house for winter so I can brush my hand over it when I pass.
Rosemary is another I winter indoors and love to touch as I walk by.
It's also very handy to have for cooking too.
Helen Poirier , Australia

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 09:52:47 PM »
Lesley,

Mary and I argued over a description for the scent of Azara earlier in the summer. She went with vanilla while I feel it is more of chocolate. We later read a magazine article where it was described as "vanilla/chocolate". It's a nice scent however one describes it. We grow Azara microphylla variegata.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 12:06:04 AM »
I said vanilla Paddy because that's how the scent is always described in catalogues or books. I'm inclined to think vanilla ice-cream, though yes, there is a hint of chocolate too. All a matter of perception I suppose, or, more likely, association. A scent in passing can take one right back to one's childhood they way the sight of something does not.

The variegated Azara is a lovely thing. I had it in a previous garden and regret not taking cuttings before I left. I may have had the only one in NZ as I imported it from Spinners Nursery in Dorset, in 1981. I've never seen it elsewhere in NZ.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:39:36 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 12:40:03 AM »
I have a small flowered "florist" Cyclamen (i.e a smaller, more species style of Cyclamen persicum) that has a strong and spicy scent.  Has been flowering prolifically this spring, and when we had it on display at Floriade over the weekend (the Hort Soceity had a display in one of the Marque at Floriade) everyone was amazed at the perfume.  It was one of the reasons I originally bought it a few years ago.... although that was mainly for the lovely white to pale pink flowers with the magenta edge.  8)

I see that Lesley has already mentioned the Lemon Verbena as well....... I just love brushing my hands through the leaves to release the smell.  Dried leaves keep their scent for a LONG time as well, you just need to brush them lightly to release it.  No need to crush or anything like that, just brush the surface lightly.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Len Rhind

• Bulb Log Index Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 04:12:14 AM »
Acidanthera (Gladiolus murielae) is a welcome aroma in my B.C. garden right now.
Surrey, B.C. Canada

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 11:25:51 AM »
I'm getting quite worried about my olufactory systems I've never detected a scent on my Gladiolus murielae :-[
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

SueG

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 01:25:02 PM »
I'm getting quite worried about my olufactory systems I've never detected a scent on my Gladiolus murielae :-[
[/quote
David - if they are like some other glads, they may only be scented at the times to attract their pollinators - some moth pollinated species like G tristus are only scented at night. i'm not sure about g murielae - guess you may just have to go and have a sniff at regular intervals over the next 24 hours!! ;D ;D ;D
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

vivienr

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 01:26:06 PM »

David, I find the scent of this plant quite feint in my garden - perhaps not sunny enough - and I had to stick my nose right into the flower to get the scent. But it wast worth the effort as to me it is the scent of a tropical paradise and I had to inhale it every time I walked down the garden in this rather miserable summer! I think it is similar to the scent of Chlidanthus fragrans which I was lucky enough to get a flower of this year. If anyone knows any other flowers with this scent I would be pleased to know about them.

I have a Clematis montana, which I think is Grandiflora, growing up a holly tree that has a lovely vanilla scent. Also a large and very prickly green-leafed Berberis with yellow flowers that can scent the whole garden on a warm spring day.

Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 09:40:49 PM »

I see that Lesley has already mentioned the Lemon Verbena as well....... I just love brushing my hands through the leaves to release the smell.  Dried leaves keep their scent for a LONG time as well, you just need to brush them lightly to release it.  No need to crush or anything like that, just brush the surface lightly.

The dried leaves make a very nice tea too.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 09:45:17 PM »
David, I too am worried about your olfactory sense as you've mentioned a number of times you couldn't small something which I find very scented. I suggest you test your smellability by buying (if you don't already grow), a couple of the more spectacular Arum species. I'd bet you'd smell those all right. Darren Sleep describes one superbly in that thread. If you can't smell them, then I'm afraid there's no hope for you at all. ;D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 09:48:30 PM »
No, not in the Arum thread. I'll find it shortly, unless it wasn't an Arum and it wasn't Darren. Help me Maggi!

edit by Maggi: a search reveals that the Forum is scattered with references to the stinky, rather than scented, properties of Arum and other aroids.... rotting flesh is the most popular ( polite) description  ::)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 11:25:37 AM by Maggi Young »

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 09:54:54 PM »
Lesley,I didn't realize that Polyxena longituba was scented until you mentioned it. I checked it today and sure enough it is beautifully scented, although one has to be fairly close to the flower to get the smell.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 10:14:12 PM »
David, I too am worried about your olfactory sense as you've mentioned a number of times you couldn't small something which I find very scented. I suggest you test your smellability by buying (if you don't already grow), a couple of the more spectacular Arum species. I'd bet you'd smell those all right. Darren Sleep describes one superbly in that thread. If you can't smell them, then I'm afraid there's no hope for you at all. ;D

I thnk I'll just take his word for it Lesley, and yours! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 03:10:09 AM »
Aw, David.  Where's your scents of adventure!! ;D ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal