We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Corybas wanted  (Read 2321 times)

ellen&dan

Corybas wanted
« on: October 16, 2008, 05:51:08 PM »
Hi just wondering if anyone knows where i can buy any Corybas. Paul Christain has sold out.

Thanks Dan
in Lancashire UK.

Giles

• Prince of Primula
Re: Corybas wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 08:19:37 PM »
Dear Dan,
Have you tried Richard Manuel at Orchis Nursery?
I do not have his current '08 list, but he certainly had Corybas diemenicus in his '06 list (the most up to date one I've got I'm afraid).
I'll pm you his contact details. He doesn't have a website.
Giles

Frans IJsselstijn

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 07:43:11 PM »
Hello Ellen and Dan

Wubben orchids in the Netherlands sales Corybas
Corybas pictus
Corybas serpentinus

Frans
in the Netherlands

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 03:20:50 AM »
While we're discussing Corybas...... anyone who is thinking of growing them be warned..... they can produce the tiniest "pinhead" size tubers apparently, so you think you've lost the plant when you haven't.  I've had pots that I checked and definitely couldn't find anything in come back the following season, or pots that I thought were empty that obviously weren't, because the pot I recycled the mix into has magically this year had a Corybas leaf appear in it.  ::)  I just thought I'd mention it as it was a surprise to me.  I've checked and the tiny tubers are quite normal and very hard to find in potting mix because they look just like a piece of it.  :o 

So if you are growing them and at the end of the season find nothing in the pot leave it a year or two to see whether any leaves appear anyway.  You might be nicely surprised.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Darren

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:55:31 PM »
I might be able to spare some C.incurvus next summer.

To confirm Pauls good advice. Don't be tempted to use perlite in the compost - trying to separate out little white spherical tubers at repotting time will send you dizzy!
I once had C.diemenicus growing and increasing like mad and giving them away until the year when they all failed to produce new tubers and died...  This sometimes happens with Pterostylis too and i wonder if viruses are responsible.
Richard Manuel kindly provided new stock of C.diemenicus which are doing well and I can recommend this source.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

ellen&dan

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 02:11:54 PM »
Hi everyone
 Thanks for you suppliers and tips.
in Lancashire UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal