Administration > General

Welcome! New to the forum? Help is at hand!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Maggi Young:
NEW POST FLAGS AND CHANGING PROFILE DETAILS:
Q from David S. :
who wrote" I can't find the perfect spot for my question but I notice that most threads have been hijacked by technical queries."
 A: Well, yes, to a point, but if you care to view this page: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=41.0
you will see many of these technical questions brought together. You may not post there, but an email
to info@srgc.org.uk will get to me, and I can post your query there, get it answered and have it along with other questions where everyone can find it.

Q: Sorry to admit it, but I don't always open every thread  . Is there a way such that when I leave the forum I can choose to delete the 'new' flags of the posts I have not visited?
(Just to be contrary, on the old forum I got anoyed if I accidentally click on the close button and lost the 'new' flags part way through a visit!)

A: Well,  the only way way round the "new flag thing" is :  On the main forum index page click  "Mark ALL messages as read"  near the bottom right. (just above the Scottish Rock Garden Club Info Center box.)

I would have thought it was handy to have, in case you wanted to read those pages on another visit!

I would suggest that you view those pages you are interested in and ignore any other, flagged or otherwise.

Q : Second question; when I newly open the forum page and scroll down to the bottom I see that David Shaw is 'in the building'. Is my name permanently there or does it automatically pop up when I open the forum pages - a bit like the light in a fridge?

A:  When you see "DavidShaw is online", (This is the small note showing which members are online at any given time ( well, any given 15 minutes in time, if we want to nit pick)) ... Yes, it shows when you are online IF THAT IS THE OPTION YOU HAVE CHOSEN IN YOUR PROFILE !

You may disable that from displaying your presence by entering your PROFILE via the button in the range at the top of the page... and then clicking ACCOUNT RELATED SETTINGS in the MODIFY PROFILE box to the left of the profile page that has opened and make what changes you wish to the settings therein. There are options such as:
Hide email address from public? 
Show others your online status?  THIS IS THE ONE YOU WANT!!
Then Click CHANGE PROFILE at the  lower right side of the page and it is done!

Maggi Young:
A very Happy New Year to all our Forumists. We wish a particularly warm welcome to all those of you who have joined us in the last couple of weeks. We hope you will enjoy the SRGC Forum and be encouraged to join the SRGC, if you have not done so already.
May all your plants grow well in 2007!

Maggi Young:
A hint about posting photos: please include the name of the plant in the text of your post. Plant names will show in file names displayed beneath some picture posts, depending on how they are loaded, but such names are not picked up be the search facility.  As John Finch repiled to a post:
"Hi,
lovely pictures - thank you.
I wonder if you may have time to edit your post to include the names of the flowers that you have shown as text.  When someone uses the search facility within the forum they do not find words that are only included as part of the image names.  The search only looks at the actual typed text within a post.

Just thinking of the future and making the SRGC forum as useful and searchable for others as possible.
cheers, John.

Well said, John. A useful point. Please take note , everyone! M

Maggi Young:
Since so many Forumists tend not to add their location to their signature bars, or anywhere else in their profile for that matter, can I make another plea here for all forumists to make their location known..... preferred method is by adding it to your name in the signature bar of your profile, so that when a post is made, all reading it can see where you live... and so make more reasoned comments to your posts.  This addition to the signature bar area of your profile will show at the end of any post you make,  as in my case,  " Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland"......see below! :D

Maggi Young:
Q : How do you insert a link to a message in another thread? For example, someone has a problem for which I described a solution elsewhere. Rather than repeating the solution, I would prefer to say: "take a look at this", where this is the link to the previous message.

I see other people managing this, but I need a little help, please.

A: So, I'm writing a post and I want to make a link to Maren's last post

There must be one of the buttons that does this.... Ashley used this a lot so he may be able to tell me!
Failing a button... type this.... but use the square brackets ( of course if I use the square brackets here here it will not show the actual process! I will use the main SRGC url)

(url=http://www.srg.org.uk)super website (/url)  which would "translate, in the square brackets, to....
super website

Techie stuff not my strong point so I hope Ashley or one of the other clever souls will help!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version