We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: no flowers :-( .... any idea?  (Read 451 times)

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
no flowers :-( .... any idea?
« on: February 15, 2024, 07:25:21 PM »
Hello, is it possible that Galanthus woronowii has different cultivation conditions than G. nivalis?
Why I ask: I wanted to increase my stock of G. nivalis and bought some at a garden store two years ago.
In the first year afterward, the significantly wider leaves could not be overlooked, so I think they are voronowii.
Now in its second year, the G. woronowii are numerous, but only one is blooming. With the G. nivalis, however, all of them bloom without exception.
If the location requirements were different, I would dig up the probable woronowii when I moved in and plant them in another location.

Greetings
Bernd
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 07:51:37 PM by Maggi Young »
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Mariette

Re: no flowers :-( .... any idea?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 07:29:19 PM »
Most imported G. woronowii come from a region in Gheorgia with very high rainfall, about 1300 mm. Maybe Your G. woronowii could do with a more humid situation?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 07:51:52 PM by Maggi Young »

Jeffnz

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 12:54:52 AM »
No possible contribution from the soli type?

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 07:23:00 AM »
OK, sorry, I forgot. It is a very heavy soil. Lime, clay, (normally) quite wet.
The location has morning sun, but is otherwise in shade.
However, last year we had a drought like never before :-( ...
The weather here is just getting more and more extreme :-(
greetings
Bernd
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 08:42:43 AM »
Bulbs imported from somewhere far away may prosper in your local conditions or they may not.  The Galanthus plicatus and the majority of Galanthus elwesii that we grow in our gardens have been here for decades or more so they will have self-selected to be the ones that like the conditions in their new locale.  And any that were not floriferous may have been selected out and onto the compost heap by the gardener.  But I know some churchyards that have snowdrops that really are not at all garden-worthy.

Try your woronowii in a different location in your garden.  If that doesn't work throw them out and get some different ones.  There are woronowii that grow perfectly well in exactly the same conditions as nivalis; I have a big and expanding patch in my garden.  Meanwhile lift and divide your existing nivalis for a better display.  They benefit from being divided more frequently than most people realise. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 08:45:30 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal