Seedy Subjects! > Seed Exchange

Trillium Seed

(1/3) > >>

Philip R:
Hello,
I am a new member of the SRGC.
I've grown trilliums from seed before but only from fresh seed as I was told trillium seeds viability isn't very good if stored too dry.
Is it worth ordering seed from the seed exchange, has anyone had good results from slightly older seed???
Kind regards
Phil
(From sunny devon)

Leena:
I have grown many of my Trilliums from seed ex seeds, and though not all have germinated, I have gotten enough plants to maturity,
and so now can get more and fresh seeds from my own plants.
So I would say, soak the dry seeds overnight before sowing them, and maybe half of them will germinate.

With Hepatica, Galanthus and Leucojum dry seeds I haven't had success at all, but Trilliums were ok.

arisaema:

--- Quote from: Leena on November 25, 2023, 04:05:27 PM ---soak the dry seeds overnight before sowing them, and maybe half of them will germinate.

--- End quote ---

Do you put the pots straight outside, or slightly more protected from frost after sowing? I've had luck with dry seeds of the W US species in the past, Trillium kurabayashii and T. chloropetalum var. giganteum seem to tolerate being stored dry better than those from the East.

Philip R:

--- Quote from: Leena on November 25, 2023, 04:05:27 PM ---I have grown many of my Trilliums from seed ex seeds, and though not all have germinated, I have gotten enough plants to maturity,
and so now can get more and fresh seeds from my own plants.
So I would say, soak the dry seeds overnight before sowing them, and maybe half of them will germinate.

With Hepatica, Galanthus and Leucojum dry seeds I haven't had success at all, but Trilliums were ok.

--- End quote ---

Great thank you for that. I had assumed they were the same a hepatica and never requested them from other exchanges.

Leena:

--- Quote from: arisaema on November 25, 2023, 04:59:35 PM ---Do you put the pots straight outside, or slightly more protected from frost after sowing? I've had luck with dry seeds of the W US species in the past, Trillium kurabayashii and T. chloropetalum var. giganteum seem to tolerate being stored dry better than those from the East.
--- End quote ---

You are right, kurabayashii and chloropetalum germinate best. :) I have different kinds of kurabayashii, chloropetalum, albidum, luteum, erectum, maculatum, ovatum (though these died one winter, but they germinated from dry seeds) and rivale from dry seed ex seeds in winter, sown between 2013-2018.

After I receive the seeds in February I soak the seeds, and put in ziplog bags in moist vermiculite (because they take less room than pots) and keep at room temperature until next autumn. In my climate I couldn't take them outside in the middle of winter. In warmer climate it can be different. By next autumn most have made a small root and then I pot them and keep in my root cellar the next winter, and most will germinate the following spring. Some don't, and I keep pots at least three years (outside during summers and buried in the ground or in root cellar for winters), and some germinate later.
I had taken this picture a year ago October (2022) of Trillium seeds with little roots forming, and they were put in moist vermiculite in February 2022 and kept in room temperature (in my house
 +17-20C). I potted them after taking the picture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version