We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: need ideas .... Clematis/Codonopsis  (Read 1397 times)

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
need ideas .... Clematis/Codonopsis
« on: August 14, 2023, 03:56:58 PM »
Hello, I have a climbing trellis on which I kept losing clematis because of clematis wilt. There is currently a C. texensis there that is said to be resistant.... but probably not really :-( My question: Is there a large, climbing Codonopsis that I can use as a substitute? (Please only pure ones species, not hybrids) or maybe something else (besides Lonicera)?
.... the soil is calcareous! direction west.
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Claire Cockcroft

Re: need ideas .... Clematis/Codonopsis
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 06:32:22 PM »
I've grown Codonopsis lanceolata, which I like a lot.  I also have C. pilosula, whose foliage is not as dense.  Both die back to the ground in winter.  And both can really climb when they're happy.
...Claire
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 06:34:29 PM »
Thanks! how high do they climb?

Redmires

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 09:07:39 PM »
I have Tropaeolum ciliatum growing all over shaded trellis in a very inhospitable spot. It has a reputation for thuggishness and is apparently hard to get rid of once established, but for me it works well. It has quite small five-lobed leaves that are nothing like those of T. majus and the flowers are pretty - pale gold marked with a lacy pattern in a darker, rusty colour. It seems to stay green during the winter. I bought mine from RarePlants.

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 09:26:14 PM »
Thanks! That sounds very interesting. "Thanks" to Brexit I can unfortunately no longer buy from rare plants :-(

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 12:24:47 PM »
Thanks! That sounds very interesting. "Thanks" to Brexit I can unfortunately no longer buy from rare plants :-(
Rareplants website say they can export to many places -   " Export availability for EU, Japan, USA etc. is now open (for delivery September-October on)" It seems they are providing full certification for exports.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 12:51:56 PM »
Great :-)

"Postal service, TRACKED & SIGNED-FOR (cost includes one health certificate): £55.00"  :-[  :'(  :-[
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 03:53:41 PM by Catwheazle »

Jon Evans

• Snapaholic
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2023, 10:40:40 PM »
I will probably have seed of Tropaeolum ciliatum for the exchange.  I try to collect all the seeds so the birds don't spread it around - the spreading underground roots are bad enough.
Jon Evans
Farnham, Surrey, UK

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2023, 06:31:02 AM »
Thanks, but I can't use the "the spreading underground roots" at all at this point. Such information is usually missing from the plants.

MarcR

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2023, 02:48:53 AM »
Catwheazle,

Have you considered plants like Lonicera, Passiflora, Campsis, or Eccremocarpus?

Most Passiflora are hot hardy; but mollissima should be hardy to zone 6 even if it dies to the ground each winter.  The same should be true of Eccremocarpus if you winter it under glass until the third year.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 06:14:41 AM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

brianw

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2023, 06:31:08 PM »
I grow some "Morning Glory" each year from plants over-wintered in my greenhouse; though they can get quite high. Up to the gutter of my 2 storey house or up a flowering cherry etc. Mine roots Ok from cuttings; the others I cut back to 2-3 feet.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Redmires

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2023, 07:40:56 AM »
Dactylicapnos (formerly Dicentra) macrocapnos might also work for you. D. scandens is similar but apparently doesn't climb as high (about 2m according to most sources) and has a shorter flowering period - that said, there appears to be some confusion between the two. D. scandens is much easier to get hold of as both plant and seeds. D. macrocapnos was top of my shortlist of hardy climbers that are happy in shade, but I haven't been able to get hold of either plant or seeds in the UK, so I'm going to give up and try D. scandens.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 10:35:05 AM by Redmires »

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2023, 10:27:49 AM »
Thanks! Thanks to your help I have a lot now... I just have to make a decision :-)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal