Specific Families and Genera > Meconopsis

Meconopsis flower colour

<< < (2/2)

Véronique Macrelle:
Do Meconopsis germinate more easily in direct seeding than in pots?
 is 'Lingholm' the easiest of the blue poppies?
 i failed again with meconopsis seedlings this year, except for some M. napaulensis that i sowed in a pot, then put the pot in the soil without dividing them. result: i never had anything so advanced, (10 cm high), but it's a tight group of plants and i don't dare to touch it.
 i made a new bed for shade plants with the result of a pile of composted branches, not quite degraded yet, and the result is very interesting for many plants usually difficult for my soil.
I would like to try direct seeding of Meconopsis.
 I would love to get that blue, Leena, even a little faded! ;)

Leena:
Veronique, I haven't had self sown seedlings of Meconopsis, so I don't know if they would germinate better in the ground. I try to sow them as fresh as possible, but also seeds from for instance last winters seeds ex have germinated quite nicely. I sowed them in February and placed the pots outside in the snow, and they started to germinate in May when the weather turned warmer. In milder climate they germinate faster than here outside. They are still very small, and I haven't pricked them out, and besides it is now too hot outside and I will wait for cooler days before I do it.
I have had success also just dividing the seed pot in  small clumps and putting them straight in the bed outside without really pricking them out. Maybe that is a safest way.
For me both 'Lingholm' and M.baileyi have been equally easy/difficult, so I can't say anything really.

I hope to get seeds from my Meconopsis, and I can send you some in the autumn, if you like. :) They are flowering well right now. :)

Véronique Macrelle:
It would be a pleasure, Leena.
your garden is so beautiful that I thought they reseeded themselves naturally: but it is the result of great care!

I am looking for seeds in my garden that could make you happy...
How hardy does your garden need to be?

Leena:
Veronique, I think one reason why I don't get self sown seedlings could be, that I mulch the beds quite heavily with dry leaves in the autumn for winter protection. Seeds which have dropped get buried under the mulch.
I think my garden is maybe US zone 6, or 5 to be sure. You don't need to think anything in return  :), if all goes well, I will get plenty of seeds. It depends on the weather in August.Your Violas are growing well here, though most of them were no planted outside yet last summer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version