We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: In search of Greatorex  (Read 986 times)

iPlantsman

• Lewis Normand CHort MCIHort FLS
    • iPlantsman Blogsite
In search of Greatorex
« on: March 21, 2022, 02:30:11 PM »
Hi everyone,

For some years now, I have wanted to do my best to gather up all of the Greatorex double Galanthus with a view to finally establishing critical differences between selections and holding a comparative collection.  I moved back to Scotland last year and have started on my new garden, where my passion for Galanthus and this ambition have been reignited.  I suspect it is impossible, with much of the detail lost to time and confusion over everyone's stock, but fancy doing it either way.

As such, I'm looking for Greatorex doubles if any has any they are interested in selling or swapping please.  I am particularly interested in G71, G75 and G77, as well as L.P. Long and L.P. Short.  Finally, two of the non-Shakespearean characters in Jenny Wren and Poseidon.  Interested in anyone who has a cast iron guaranteed stock of any other as well.  I have a bulb or two of the others, but they are young, so don't know yet if they really conform.

If anyone has any of these and can spare a bulb or three, let me know please.  I'm also keen to know the provenance to try and trace back lines of supply.  With regard to swapping, I am only just getting back into Galanthus after nearly a decade out, so don't have much of anything, but I'm sure a deal of some nature can be struck.

Thanks and happy gardening,

Lewis

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: In search of Greatorex
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 05:25:54 PM »
Best of luck; it's a laudable aim.  Unfortunately I cannot help; I have two of the Shakespearean ladies but I have no idea if they are correctly named.  One I have had for such a long time I cannot remember where it came from and the other I got from a garden centre about 3 years ago.
Almost in Scotland.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 04:44:30 PM »
I have no idea what Greatorex means so I looked it up. A person who lives near a hill, stream or ridge?

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 05:37:52 PM »
I have no idea what Greatorex means so I looked it up. A person who lives near a hill, stream or ridge?
As this is the Galanthus section of the forum try searching for Galanthus and Greatorex together.  In fact I can save you the trouble - the top result I got was this one: https://www.galanthus.co.uk/products&prod_cat_id=16
Almost in Scotland.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 10:53:59 AM »
Thanks Alan. There are many naturalised snowdrops along the river here. I posted some pictures on my blog on March 13th.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal